Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There is somthing to be said for living "up north"...............

There is somthing to be said for living "up north"...............

Even though I have never lived there, it makes sense to me to be able to go out to your shop in the summer and turn something in less than triple digit temperatures. I know you can't do outside in the winter (to a large extent) but you have football to watch and shops are easier to heat than cool. At least here........

Oh, well, 68 years old is probably too late to uproot, but I'm tired of this stinking weather.......
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Just think---it's the middle of Feb and the temp is around zero outside. I am out in the shop turning with the wood burning stove keeping the temp around 60 degrees.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Tom, although I'm not really "up north", I do live in an area that has 4 very distinctly different seasons. And I love it that way. We're pushing 100 every day this week, 6 months from now it will be in the 20's. I turn in my unheated, unairconditioned garage year round and just add or take off layers of clothing accordingly. But I also work outside so I'm used to the extremes. The nice thing about our weather here in Northern Utah is that it rarely stays at any extreme for anymore than a few weeks. But I do sympathize with you folks in the hot parts of the country. Of all the seasons, the hot weather seems to get to me the most.

We have been having a mild summer. Days in the mid 80s, and nights down to 50. Too hot for me. Winter is wet "it isn't that it rains so much, it just takes it so long to do it." Maybe down to freezing, and up to mid 60s. High humidity (90+%) makes it feel a lot colder though.

robo hippy

I love the heat, so I don't mind the 100 degree days here in NC. Have to stop every once in a while to clean sweat soaked shaving off myself so I don't go crazy from itching, but other than that, I much prefer it to trying to stay warm while turning.

The only thing that hurts worse than a square chuck of wood hitting a knuckle is a square chunk of wood hitting a cold knuckle!

Well Tom all the 68 year olds around hear are moving to Texas.I like it here,usually low humidity and moderately cool.I turn in the basement so its usually climate controlled.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

I hear ya Tom! Today it was up around 116, but its supposed to cool down to around 111 by the weekend. But I do have to say the cold bothers me more than the heat, and I'm talking Phoenix cold, not those sub arctic temps those guys deal with up north lol. But all that said, we really only have about 2 months of miserably hot and about 2 months or miserably cold (for me anyway and just at night), then 8 months of comfortable to spectacular turning weather, so I think I'll stay here and just bear with the next few weeks
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Tom, I'm with you on the hot weather here in Central Texas. I get off work @ 4:00 pm & start the drive home. Outside temp 108 degrees. Time I get home I've decided it is too hot outside to think about turning much. Waiting on that temperature to start cooling down a little bit.
    Billy

This has been a shorter and cooler summer than we normally have here in north west Montana. This last week its been in the mid to upper 80's. Some of the higher mountains will still have snow when it starts snowing again this fall. I wouldn't live anywhere else, but the wife keeps threatening to move to Vegas......I will miss her.

It depends on how your house / shop is set up. I turn in my garage which is in a raised ranch, so there is house above and to the side of the garage. After insulating it, all it took was a small oil immersion heater to keep it in the low 60s even when it was 4F outside. I can enter the garage without going outside. This allows me to turn in comfort all year long in CT.

A detached garage would be a very different beast.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Extreme weather is the reason they invented journals, blogs and forums. Otherwise we would be out turning and never give them much attention! 93F here and way too sticky for me. Back to the A/C + PC and maybe a nice cooool drink.

Well I do live "up north", Alberta, Canada to be percise and I can tell you I'll take 40C over -40C any day!!
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

I would rather deal with the heat than the cold any day. However with that being said I air condition my shop with a portable AC My shop is right at 800 sq. ft. and with the AC on, and a 104 degree day I can keep it at 80 degrees. Not bad by Texas standards. However down hear in San Antonio We are always about 5 to 6 degrees cooler in the summer than you guys in the DFW area. And a heck of a lot warmer in the winter.

Alan

As the crow flies, I live less than 150 miles from the Canadian border. I suppose that qualifies as "up North".

I also live at an elevation of 750' above sea level in the bottom of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers canyons and 2000' below the prairies to the north and south. If you leave town going east or west you eventually climb several thousands of feet in elevation to cross a mountain pass. If you go north or south you climb 2000' up onto the prairies and eventually mountain passes. The weather in town is moderate compared to the surrounding areas. We often have 3-5 weeks each year where we exceed 100ºF daily. It hasn't happened so far this year. It seldom goes below 0ºF but I have seen -15ºF here.

The 2000' in elevation makes a huge difference in the weather we experience. I have come off the top of the Lewiston Grade where there was 31" of snow, snowing, blowing, whiteout conditions and at the bottom it was bare ground and dry road.

Our average annual moisture is 13". 3" less we would be a desert. We typically have very low humidity.

Unlike others, I would rather deal with the cold than the heat. Fat old men sweat a lot.

I can put on enough clothes to stay warm. If I take off enough clothes to keep cool, it's ugly and one can get arrested for indecent exposure.

Besides, my shop is heated with a hanging gas furnace. I can walk from my backdoor/carport to the shop in short sleeve shirts in the winter.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-24-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tom,
    Seems to me that the grass always "seems" greener on the other side. I used to live in Chicago. Believe me, it's not easier to heat when it's 22 below zero with 40 mph winds than it is to AC at 100. Both require a lot of insulation. The real kicker to living up north is a little thing called SNOW. We had a foot of it in April and it shut the city down....that was way back when...probably 1974. I can also remember one year that it snowed 27" overnight. That too shut the city down. Cars rust out from the salt.....ALL cars. Roofs cave in from snow loads. People get frost bite walking 2 blocks to the buss stop. and so on and so forth. Just my 2 cents worth. I don't have too many FOND memories of the weather there.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."