Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ladder Accidents this summer

I do not like using boots on a ladder. The arch area does cup the rung, but it also can make your foot uneven and want to slide towards the rung while you are going up and down. I like a good flat tennis shoe so I can "feel" the rung under my foot.

I have had more problems with the style of extension ladder that skips a rung where the extension locks are. How many times have you been going up or down a ladder thinking about your project and put you foot where there should be a rung and find out it is in the position of the locks and doesn't have that rung and your foot hits "air"?

Adjust the feet into the upper sideways position and let the rails of the ladder stab into the ground to help secure it if you want to keep it in place on soil. Use the rubber feet on cement.

Another silly answer. If you are on any medications, beware of what you're doing. 10 feet up, blacked out. Chain saw went one way and I went the other. All is well that ends well. No injuries. Whew.

Work safely, and tie off your ladders.

We all make mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago I watched as a painter on an aluminum ladder working at about 30 feet brushed his arm against a 4800 volt line coming into the mall building, he did a backflip off the ladder and ended up with his chin on the concrete curb. Not a pretty sight.

I am the one that gets to do all the work up in the exposed timber trusses at church. I have installed lights, fans and sound equipment. As soon as I climb the ladder, I tie it to the beam, then I tie off to the beam myself.

4. My friends dad used to take a crowbar and tap it down over the bottom rung to keep it from kicking out. Smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I'd starve if I did it that way, Anthony. Instead, I use the safety device that's above and between my shoulders, and the skill I've gained from doing it for 15+ years. None, and I mean none, of my competition ties off their ladders, so adding that detail alone would probably put me out of business.
    Exactly! Too many of the new regulations are written by people that do not have a clue how to do the work, nor have any idea what it is like to be in business. The new roofing safety regs are just such an example. It adds very little safety to the job but adds to the cost. If you do it as required you will get out bid by someone who is not complying with the rules, but in my case I have too much to lose so I just quit doing roofs.

The EPA lead laws are another that has decimated my restoration business, totally rediculious rules that are not possible to meet. I no longer restore old homes. If lead paint is found in the soil I have to remove 6" of soil, have it hauled away by a toxic waste hauler @ aprox $280 a yard, and replace. The thing is the homeowner does not call me until the paint is falling off, so I have already failed if I accept the job. I can't afford the $32K fine, so I just don't take the jobs any more.

To all of those quoting some government safety brochure, reality is not that simple. Houses are not always willing to fit into their neat little box.

I am just about ready to call it quits......

Larry

Larry, I would not blame you for quitting, it is dirty work but someone got to do it