Thread: Adirondack settee design by Neal Barrett in Popular Mechanics - which backissue?

Adirondack settee design by Neal Barrett in Popular Mechanics - which backissue?

I built one from the plan in an issue of PM from maybe ten years ago. Gorgeous piece, two seats, shared table center, a painted loon under the table facing front, curved backs, pine tree cutout in center of backs.

Would like to make a couple more and am looking for the back issue. Anybody know which one it is?

I could take this one all apart and make patterns of all the parts, but I was hoping to just get another copy, maybe even on-line, of the magazine issue.

Found that PM has put up most all of their backissues to Google Books, but could not find the article. Looks as if some of the issues are missing in Google's repository.

Spent some time yesterday measuring what I have, and then modeling it in Sketchup. If you are interested, the mostly-complete model is up on the 3D Whse. Search "Adirondack settee."

Gene, you did a nice job on that model. I fleshed it out a bit based on your photos. Even if the article doesn't turn up, I think you have enough info to build it.

Quick question...I'm thinking about putting this on my list of things to do this winter. Is there an easy way to figure out the radius or diameter of the arcs in sketchup? Or Am I stuck with measuring the height and width and interpreting the diameter with some fancy math formula?

Kevin, if the curve is an arc, it's radius will be reported in Entity Info when it is selected. If the arc has been exploded however, Entity Info won't report a radius since it is no longer an arc (even if it looks like one) but you could construct the radius with some guidelines and then measure it.

If you want a hand figuring that out, drop me a PM and I'll help you.