Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about buying craftsman table saw! HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poyner
    ...(I HATE paying for shipping!) ...
    You ARE paying shipping if you buy the Craftsman, it's just hidden in that $1200 price tag. Buy local and you pay sales tax to boot, plus you'll likely be on your own getting it home and into the shop.

I've never had to have anything freighted to me, but from what I hear, if you're lucky, it's delivered to your door and the driver will usually help unload.

Re The Motor.

It has been my experience over years of buying industrial electric motors, that it was usually better to have one rewound than to get a new one. Reason: if the motor rewind shop was reliable they had more at stake from a blemish on their reputation than a faceless factory - perhaps in China. far as the saw goes are you going to test the trueness of the arbor, etc. with a dial gauge? Have you seen the saw in operation? I the answers to these questions are positive, and you don't see a more expensive saw in your immediate future, I'd go for it.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Yeah I have seen the saw in operation. Quiet nice humm to it and it starts well. I cant say as much for testing the trueness of the arbor..

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaRussa
    Hi Joe,

Welcome to the 'Creek!

IMHO, by the time you upgrade the fence on that dubious Craftsman saw you will be into the thing for enough money that you'll really wish you bought a better saw, brand new, with a good fence, a warranty, and the like.
    Exactly! Been there & done that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Joe - That sure looks like a cabinet saw to me, and the fence looks very similar to what used to come on Grizzly's 12" cab saw (G5959?). For $750-$800 equipped with a better fence (minus whatever you can get for the original fence), I'd still be uncomfortable with what most would prefer to be a once in a lifetime purchase. Wood Mag didn't rate the full Craftsman cab saw too well in their review a while back. There's alot of good used Uni's and PM66's for that price.

Tom, I don't want to get into the long discussion that this topic sometimes leads to, but the hybrid saws have a couple of advantages over contractor saws, depending on the brand and model. Your comment about them being prettied up contractor saws has merit, but thats what they are competing against. I don't think anyone who purchases a hybrid thinks he is getting a cabinet saw.

The couple of advantages I mentioned are:

1) Improved dust collection with a full-cabinet hybrid design like the Craftsman and new Delta.

2) Cabinet mounted trunnions. I think only the Sears models have this, the almost identical Delta has the contractor style (table mounted).

3) This one is more arguable, so I did not include it in the count above, More mass = more stability. I'm sure there are contractor saws that are beefier, but my 22124 is quiet and virtually vibration free compared to my former Delta contractor.

No arguments here that given the option between a cabinet saw and a contractor/hybrid which is the way to go; I just think the hybrids have some advantages over straight contractors (removing brand names for a minute).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poyner
    Ok after reading almost all threads with Craftsman, Cman, Crapsman, etc. I feel I still dont know!!!

I am thinking about buying a used Craftsman cabinet saw.

This is the saw.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Table+Saws

Now the saw I am thinking of buying is actually a 5HP and the motor was re-wound recently (Possible cause for alarm??) It also has the cheapest fence that I have ever seen and will need a immidiate Beismyer transplant! Besides that the saw is in overall good condition. Now for something odd. While it is EXACTLY like in the picture, no where on the saw does it saw craftsman. It looks like someone possibly removed the sticker on the front. Dont know..

Here is the kicker... The guy wants 500$ for the saw...

Now I would LOVE to save up and buy a delta contractors or cabinet but we all know how long that can take! What I want to know is peoples opinions about Cman saws. I know there are ALOT of ANTI-CMAN people out there (I am a little cautious myself) but (a big but) is that perhaps the contractors saws being more expensive possibly are better quality?

Thanks alot folks for all the help!
    Joe,

Not sure if you have a Home Depot around you or not. But the one near me here in Missouri is currently selling a Delta Contractor Saw with Delta's version of the Beisemeyer fence on it for $399. It doesn't appear to be a sale price or anything either.

I haven't looked into any closer than that though. It might be worth checking out.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Question Is it really Craftsman?

All craftsman saws have at least a Craftsman model no. on them. That dosen't look like the hybred saw that most everyone is thinking of. It looks like the saw out of their industrial tool catalog that they sell only to industrial accounts. BTW Grainger sells an identical saw as a Dayton brand. They are available with both a 3 or a 5 HP motor. If it doesn't have the typical Craftsman model no., then it is probably a Dayton. The Craftsman model no. is identified by a 3 digit no. followed by a dot and another 5, 6 or 7 digit no. such as 113.197702, which happens to be the model no. of my RAS. the first three digit represent the manufacturer, the rest is the specific model no. for your device. All Craftsman equipment is no. this way.

Steve
    Last edited by Stephen Dixon; 02-22-2005 at 4:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ford
    I just think the hybrids have some advantages over straight contractors (removing brand names for a minute).
    Darren,

You're right.

I really meant that I would not buy a hybrid if I could get a cabinet model for just a little bit more.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Joe, how far from Kansas are you? I ordered a unisaw, and would make
    you a deal on my old cman. It is really old, and heavy. Jim

I'd definitely pass. Take your time and find a deal on a used cabinet saw or save a little extra and get a new Grizzly. It will be worth your money and time. You'll get a good saw, good fence and good support from the members of the creek.

By the way, welcome!

chris

Stephen. Thanks for the info.. I suspect you are right! It doesnt have the craftsman model number but it does have a number similar to the one in the GRANGER catalog under the DAYTON tag..

Sigh...

What to do.. What to do!

I think I will go with a Grizzly but stephen (seems like you know a bit about dayton) do you think the dayton saws are comparable to say Grizzly/Delta/PM? That question goes for anyone who knows about the saw in question!

Again thanks for all the help! So nice to be on a forum where the people dont treat you like a dummy even though its possible that you are one!

THANKS!

Oh Jim I am in Oklahoma City.

P.S. if you get tired of the thread let it die! You all are really tired of hearing from me im sure!
    Last edited by Joe Poyner; 02-23-2005 at 12:41 AM.

To further complicate your life...

Delta is introducing a cabinet saw made in China to compete with Grizz. I don't know if they're at dealers yet. You could also go to www.shopfox.biz and either email or call for a list of dealers near You. Shopfox is similar to but perhaps slightly upgraded Grizz but comes with 2 year warranty and local dealer support. Nuthin' like adding to your confusion

Curt