Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PheasantWood Hollow Form

PheasantWood Hollow Form

I found an EXCELLENT source for fine Hawaiian turning stock! Craig Swedberg has a great deal of NICE and interesting stuff.
    This piece was difficult for me to pick a top. I got a rough outside and showed it to MY SWMBO (I don't do that - ever) and she picked the top. I TRIED, but my photos don't do this justice, the figure is VERY nice.
    The tenon came off once, near the end so I had to return the outside, then finish hollowing. That process also required me to make the tenon deeper than I would have liked. I resolved the problem by leaving a slight dome on the inside bottom. around the new larger deeper foot.
    The thinness is otherwise pretty uniform at about 3/16.
    I used my offset Nano tool to determine the rim thickness. Doing that has kept my Munro tool from skipping up and ruining the opening.
    She is 12 1/2 inches in diameter by 5 inches high. Kukui nut oil sanded to 800. Three or four coats of Tre-Wax applied after that.
    As Always, All Comments, Critiques and Questions Appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George Guadiane; 08-26-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Change One Thing

What an awesome piece of wood!
    I really like the patterns and the shape is great. Very nice job!

That piece of wood looks like it might have been difficult to turn to such a shallow, wide shape with a small opening. Nice job. Was that turned green to finish?

Very characteristic wood,
    good job

George, this really is a very nice piece of wood, and you did an awesome job of hollowing something of this diameter. I have yet to try a piece this large - I am impressed!!!

George,
    I really like the color and grain. Nice form also.

Outstanding pice of wood. Love the form you chose to show off the max amount of grain too. A fine save on the foot/teenon loss.

Wow, What a chunk of wood. Beautiful hollow form. You did the wood justice.
    faust

Just a beautiful piece. This is the type of art I aspire to creat. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Outstanding in every way George! You probably know by now that Nancy is ALWAYS right. ;-))
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Very nice George,my instructor had a pc. in her portfolio made of Pheasant wood.I was taken with the grain.can you give us contact info for Craig? Is this a Hawaiian wood ?[none in the states?]

My only suggestion would have been to flip it upside down...the figure on the base is amazing!!! Beautiful job on the finish to George!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Amazing piece there. Really nice work. I agree with Jim, I may have flipped the direction but it's awesome either way

First,
    Thank you to everyone for your kind comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    That piece of wood looks like it might have been difficult to turn to such a shallow, wide shape with a small opening. Nice job. Was that turned green to finish?
    I think the wood was from a fairly dry area and, while green, it didn't feel very moist... But yes, I turned it to finish over a two day period.
    Between my Privett Monster articulated hollowing setup and my Rolly Munro articulated hollowing tools (and a fair amount of determination and patience), I was able to get to all of the nooks, cranies and deep recesses of this one.

TOOLS HELP!

The wood IS Hawaiian. I'll contact Craig and make sure he's ready for the potential onslaught of requests. He has so much material that I feel fairly comfortable sharing him, I just need to get his permission. OH, and he KNOWS how to cut for character. His crotch stuff is killer.

On the next piece, I will almost certainly orient in the other direction. The bottom on this piece is actually the outside of the flitch. Again, well cut!
    Change One Thing

Nice HF George. That is some wild looking wood. I really like it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.