Thread: TS Miter gauge bar washer removal

TS Miter gauge bar washer removal

I was wondering how many woodworkers remove their miter bar washers - if present? I really started getting annoyed by mine rather quickly and removed mine and am liking it w/o so far. Really wondering if there are any reasons besides keeping it from falling out while extended past the table that I am missing.

P.S. might as well throw the angle adjustment flipstop in here too.

Signed, New TS User.

Delta Contractors Saw / Delta mb
    Last edited by Jamie Schmitz; 08-26-2011 at 4:27 PM.

I have them on the miter gauge that came with my current saw. Didn't have them on my previous saw......I have them on both of my after market miter gauges I bought for my current saw. I have gotten used to them. They are still on.

It's just like the blade guard on my table saw. The splitter is part of my blade guard. The splitter has saved me multiple times. The only time the blade guard comes off...if I am making cuts that are not "through" cuts including dados and when I put my router table on top of the saw to use the router table. Most people don't like or use the blade guards that come with their saws. I do and it's become routine for me.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-26-2011 at 5:03 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My table saw is also a Delta Contractors Saw. I bought the Incra 1000SE miter gauge that came with the washer and took it off the second day of using it.

I use a Kreg and it doesn't have one. I have never seen the need?

As far as splitters and blade guards...I use an over-arm style guard and only use a splitter on solid wood. The PM66 had the old style splitter and blade guard combo, long since removed, so I use one of those snap in types that fit the throat plate. It's just not necessary with sheet goods, Corain, etc...

Blog Entries
    I took mine off and never missed them.

Blog Entries
    I took mine off but, I do use them on jigs. I have other ways of cross-cutting that do not require them. On the devices where I do use them successfully, I remove the washer/bar by pushing it out of the slot (away from me) as opposed to pulling it out. The washer(s) doesn't hang up so much that way.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have 2 different miter gauges, the V27 and the EB-3. I removed it from the V27 that I use on the router table, band saw and Ridgid sander. The EB-3 I left it on and it is only used on the table saw, the reason is that if I pull it back to far it will fall off the table so I like having it there.