Thread: New work bench.....Finished!!!

New work bench.....Finished!!!

I posted pic of the base some time ago
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14063

We finally finished the top and installed the vises. One 7" Record as a side vise and a Veritas twin screw as an end vise. The top is Maple flooring over a solid core door. The edge banding is Ash. I was going to use Maple but the cost stopped us. I think the ash ties in well with the red oak base. The finish is Fromby's tung oil. (I know, not real Tung oil, but I do like it) The bench is 59" long and 39" wide. This bench will be used as a "multi purpose, horizontal surface"

Thanks for looking
    John and Kris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Gregory; 02-22-2005 at 5:16 PM. Reason: changed a word to make more sense

I think that the bench looks great! It would fit in any shop well. Good job.

nice looking bench. Good size and location of the vises. I think one of the nice parts about making your own bench is the fact that it can be custom designed for the particular location. Good use of a solid core door, people seem to laugh when I have mentioned this as one of the best "value" types of bench tops you can get ( there was just a post on SMC for free SCD ). Glad you chose to make the top out of a decent hard wood. Nice job... thanks for sharing the pics... nice looking shop as well

lou

Very nice. I like the way everything ties in to the same height. Looks like it would be pretty easy to cut full 4x8 sheets with your setup, even without a slider arrangement. Overall it looks like you've got a good ergonomic setup for getting things done easier (smarter).
    Use the fence Luke

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    John, nice looking bench, it’s very substantial looking. Nice looking shop too – how ‘bout a shop tour?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

John, that is one nice looking bench and shop. But do I detect a helper set of eyes over the scroll saw. Looks like your eye site is going as fast as our hair.
    Jim

Nice work John! I especially like the way the TS, the outfeed table and the bench all tie in together.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrison; 02-22-2005 at 7:42 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Nice big surface to work on...I like it!! (Can I presume you are a lefty based on the position of the front vice?) Great job on that bench, John!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice John.

I have saved both of your threads as I see some ideas that I might incorporate into my bench.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

John,

Beautiful job. I can tell you did much planning in the process of this creation. I believe it would be safe to say that it is a master piece

I am still about a weekend away from completion of mine.

Very nice work. Good looking bench. Also good planning to have equal top surfaces of all pieces.
    Jerry

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have some home and shop related photos on a Yahoo photo site if anyone wants to look.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/woodworksutah/my_photos

No Jim I am not a lefty. I placed the side vice there at the urging of the LOML. Because the table is relatively short, 59" and only has three sides accessible, I put the side vise in a place that would not interfer with the end vise. And since my wife and I share this hobby and are working together all of the time. Each of us can use a vise without interferring with the other. My preference would have been the other end of the table. But since I am lucky enough to have the LOML share this hobby, I willingly gave into her suggestion.