Thread: I almost did a bad thing! thanks sawmill search for keeping my conscience clean.

I almost did a bad thing! thanks sawmill search for keeping my conscience clean.

I decided to sell my g0490 jointer. I had to re align the tables every so often and even though it did a good job when adjusted I wanted to just turn on a jointer and work without any problems. I bought a used shop fox (photos coming) which was basically just like the G0490 except I think this was a little newer and had a 3 hp motor.

So I placed an ad on craig's list and mentioned that the g0490 had to be re adjusted once in a while. Thats the way I remember it working the last time I used it last winter. Some times I'm a little forgetful though. All the info is in my head but I never seem to remember it all at once.

I got a couple of inquiries. One guy wanted to come see it today. He was an hour and 1/2 away and I told him everything I thought I knew and he wanted to buy it. I got off the phone and had a nagging feeling. Something was wrong but I wasn't sure what so I called him back and told him to wait a few minutes. I just couldn't remember what the problem was.

I searched my posts on sawmill and found one where I was complaining that I couldn't get the tables to line up any more. I had forgotten all about that and this guy was under the impression that he would just have to make an adjustment once in awhile.

I started telling the would be buyer about the problem and he asked " Keith. What is it. Do you have some one else who wants the jointer?" And I told him no. I just wanted to be fair and then read him the post.

He is still buying it but at a reduced price and now he knows it need to be fixed. I thought it was funny because he thought I was trying to talk him out of buying because I want more money from some one else. I know what its like to buy a bad piece of machinery and would never want to pass that anger on to some one else.

Keith, good for you, you did the right thing even though it cost you.

That's one of the things about ethics, it can be a bit painful at first however it's good for both parties................Regards, Rod.

Good job Keith, being honest will pay off in the long run.

Blog Entries
    Honesty wins out. Well done. Were you ever able to identify the failing part that was causing the drift?

P.s. The G0490 is 3HP.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Honesty wins out. Well done. Were you ever able to identify the failing part that was causing the drift?

P.s. The G0490 is 3HP.
    No. I never had a chance to look at it. I am always to busy trying to keep my head above water.

I took $150 for it and the new owner will probably be able to fix it pretty easy. I should have just fixed it but I am always having to fix something around here and something had get off the list.

Keith.
    Sadly, your level of honesty is very rare. The customer's questioning is the proof.
    Recently, I've had occasions to buy or sell several tools, none as large as a jointer, though. I always found the used tools, and sold mine on woodworking forms. I think woodworkers are very honest. I really wouldn't like dealing with a reseller. Working through the forums seems to significantly reduce that possibility.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Keith
    Your post reminds me of my favourite saying "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
    Good for you.
    Gil

Sounds like a win-win to me.

Honesty is the best policy! You did right.... some folks can sleep at night being a crook I never could. I sold a mini van this last year, transmission was going bad and leaked, check engine light was coming on every so often due to bad catalytic converter, etc... I put it all in teh add I posted on craigslist and believe it or not someone jumped at it! They said we understand about all the problems and want it can we come get it today??? I was shocked it went so fast. BUt anyhow good on you!

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Good for you, not willing to sell your conscience for $150.00 ..

I do believe in Karma. Think you just made a deposit in the bank.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.