Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Cornhole Boards

Ridiculous Cornhole Boards

College football season is here (Georgia Tech!), and with football comes tailgates, and with tailgates, cornhole. I have a set of cornhole boards I made from 1x pine and 1/2" plywood a few years ago, and they are functional, but....

I have a hankerin' to make a set of cornhole boards so over-the-top with woodworking style that anyone who sees them will instantly roll their eyes and wonder why. The problem is I just don't know what all I can throw in there. Dovetailed corners are a must, obviously, and the necessarily exposed joinery will probably scream arts-and-crafts styling. They will have to be carried around, so I'm sure a little Shaker efficiency will be thrown in there.

I'm fishing for ideas on how to add complications to this thing....

Look up cutting boards and find one of the wonderful pattern designs:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...n-to-end-grain

You can simplify it by not using endgrain, but still get the reaction you desire!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Don't forget some carved scrollwork on the side supports, and of course, a massive inlay pattern on the face.

Doing some marquetry on the top might put you over the top, or even just some highly figured veeners. Claw foot legs would be fetching but wouldn't match the A&C or shaker stylings.

Forgive my ignorance about the fine art of tailgating and the use of a Cornhole Board, but I was reluctant to do a google search on it. I had a feeling that the results wouldn't be safe for work.

Can you do the top section as a giant raised panel let into the sides of your dovetailed frame?

What the heck is a cornhole board.

http://www.playcornhole.org/

I made one (yes only one--its just for fun) for our camper and my daughter decided we should paint the sides black and the top Festool green.

Related, the bags really are filled with corn. Guess what happens when one accidentally lands in the fire?
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-30-2011 at 7:10 PM.

How about doing a Georgia Tech logo and/or Yellow Jacket inlay?

Blog Entries
    We have a similar game in Texas but we use washers. Very large washers. A variation of horseshoes, I guess.

A tip from one Ben to another, I have seen way too many drunken people fall over "bags" (the Chicago name) while tailgating. I would hate to see something you spend a lot of time on get destroyed in such a manner.

Over the top in my mind is a drink holder and score keeper attached...

I will see if I can find the pictures. We made some that light up out of acrylic. They looked like they were floating when in the dark, the edges were lit and the cut out hole edge was lit. The issue with getting to fancy is they need to break down and be easy to carry, most people are going to also want something that doesn't weigh a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Hendrix View Post
    What the heck is a cornhole board.
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who had to ask.

I was imagining that it was some sort of a board used for corn on the cob.............Rod.

I'd like to amend my response, based on the acrylic comment, that if you use an inset acrylic ring around the hole, as well as LED's under the wood, but around the ring, it would make the inner surface of the ring glow. And as for sturdiness, well, that's just a part of this. It should be able to be stood on, fallen on, and not suffer any ill effects. But still be light. I'm thinking a torsion box internal support system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    A tip from one Ben to another, I have seen way too many drunken people fall over "bags" (the Chicago name) while tailgating. I would hate to see something you spend a lot of time on get destroyed in such a manner.

Over the top in my mind is a drink holder and score keeper attached...
    Is this what you had in mind?

score-keeper-drink-holder-bag-storage.gif

This site may give you some ideas, although these don't appear to breakdown.
    http://chitowncornhole.com/
    Ed
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -- Albert Einstein

I was afraid to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who had to ask.

I was imagining that it was some sort of a board used for corn on the cob.............Rod.