Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of ply do the magazine's use for pics?

What kind of ply do the magazine's use for pics?

I'm always browsing through wood mags at the home center and even subcribe to one. Got one the other day and noticed some jigs they used. Looking at the ply, it looks so much better than what I get. What kind is it and where can I get some? Most of the plys I've used or seen (even at the lumberyard) are I think 6 or 7 ply. Those looked like 10 or 12.

Baltic birch plywood has more plys and few or no voids. It is often recommended for jigs. 5' by 5' is a standard size. The normal source is Russia. I have heard that there are imitataions that are not as good.

We like to think that ApplePly is the premium multiply panel. It's inner plies come from Poland with domestic faces and backs, usually Maple but other species are available. We are starting to stock it in some Lowe's stores in NY, PA and OH. Check out ApplePly.com for more information.

At Popular Woodworking, we usually use Baltic Birch plywood. We get it from a local company that mainly supplies commercial shops, but our local retail woodworking stores also carry it. Sometimes the big box stores will have imported plywood with lots of thin layers, but it isn't the same stuff. Try to find out where local cabinetmakers buy their material, those kinds of distributors are different than suppliers for construction.

Bob Lang

Now the Finns think that the Russian BBP is not so good according to their plywood website. Here in SoCal we can get 5x5 BBP from Ganahl and 4x8 sheets from Austin. I have not asked from where they procure it. I use it mostly for jigs.
    Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
    We are starting to stock it in some Lowe's stores in NY, PA and OH.
    Looking forward to finding it at my Lowe's in Newport News, Virginia, although after a visit to ApplePly.com I notice Virginia and North Carolina have no distributors. Was it something we said???
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 08-31-2011 at 4:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Turner View Post
    I'm always browsing through wood mags at the home center and even subcribe to one. Got one the other day and noticed some jigs they used. Looking at the ply, it looks so much better than what I get. What kind is it and where can I get some? Most of the plys I've used or seen (even at the lumberyard) are I think 6 or 7 ply. Those looked like 10 or 12.
    Are you in West, Texas or west Texas? Hardwood Lumber Co. in Dallas has Baltic Birch http://www.hlcdallas.com/ Maybe too much of a drive for you. If there is a mcCoys nearby they carry a pretty good grade of Birch ply (not BB) in 4x8 sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Bonner View Post
    Now the Finns think that the Russian BBP is not so good according to their plywood website. Here in SoCal we can get 5x5 BBP from Ganahl and 4x8 sheets from Austin. I have not asked from where they procure it. I use it mostly for jigs.
    Forrest
    I've heard people say the Finnish ply is better than the Baltic Birch but I've had good success with the Baltic Birch, lots of plys and very few voids. I've only found the 5'x5' BB at Austin. I haven't seen the 4x8 BB sheets there. I thought it only came in metric sizes.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Jim..that would be West Texas Little town west of Abilene called Sweetwater. Dallas is only about 2 1/2 hrs out.

It may be the lighting on the photos or something, but here's what I get from the home store. This is 1/2 BB I used for a drawer and here's a jig out of the mag I was talking about. I always see this good looking ply...at least everywhere but Abilene. Is it cabinet grade or something? Special order?

drawer.jpgjig.jpg

There are lots of different grades of Russian birch being sold as BB. Some grades have voids and fills, others have no voids. I've worked with some of the highest grade material but mostly a lower grade with one clean face, one side with fills but no internal voids. It all works pretty well for jigs IME.

Baltic Birch is what you most often see.. I am in the Building supply business and we sell 5x5 sheets .. its very high quality plywood .. Gotta make sure its not Chinese, looks the same but is very hit and miss..

True Baltic usually has a stamp on the back with the details..

We have a couple of lumber yards around (one of them McCoys). Guess I'll look there and maybe pay a little more attention to where the stuff is actually coming from.

If you only want a small amt for some jigs, go to Woodpecker's site, as they have a special that can be ordered until FRIDAY, on some top quality Baltic Birch Ply. (it isn't cheap, but you can read the full description of it there). The email reminder was from Woodpeckers Inc. [mailroom@woodpeck.com], or, go to www.woodpeck.com/bbplywood.html
    They are also having their annual special on 18", 20", and 22" 100 lb rated full extension drawer slides, but they also must be ordered by friday. Good price on these.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Blog Entries
    Be aware that there is a lot of inferior plywood sold as baltic birch.I've had so many problems with the laminations failing, I won't buy if from the box stores any more.

Voids in BB has everything to do with the grade and there are several grades available.