Thread: got a tablesaw question

got a tablesaw question

I have an older craftsman tablesaw made around 1980....contractor style..
    the problem that i am running into is blade is binding in the cut..ive done all the usual checks and adjustments that i can think of and all the settings seam to be dead on..blade to miter slot is same front and back...table is dead on square to blade ...fence is square to the blade front and back....so what am i missing here?
    The bind seems to be past center in the cut ..everything goes good until i hit about the center of the cut then it start to bind up and will actually stall the motor
    I'm at a loss right now and dont know what else to check ....i also made a makeshift fence out of straight 2x4 that i also ran threw the jointer to make sure the edge was good ...did the same thing...
    Any idea's would be greatfully welcome
    Thanks
    Bob

When I've seen that, I toed my fence out a little and got past the problem. Are you using a splitter? If not, the wood may be closing up past the blade and causing a bind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    When I've seen that, I toed my fence out a little and got past the problem. Are you using a splitter? If not, the wood may be closing up past the blade and causing a bind.
    Wood pinching the blade is what I was thinking also. If so, beware of potential kickback.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hampton View Post
    I have an older craftsman tablesaw made around 1980....contractor style..
    the problem that i am running into is blade is binding in the cut..ive done all the usual checks and adjustments that i can think of and all the settings seam to be dead on..blade to miter slot is same front and back...table is dead on square to blade ...fence is square to the blade front and back....so what am i missing here?
    The bind seems to be past center in the cut ..everything goes good until i hit about the center of the cut then it start to bind up and will actually stall the motor
    I'm at a loss right now and dont know what else to check ....i also made a makeshift fence out of straight 2x4 that i also ran threw the jointer to make sure the edge was good ...did the same thing...
    Any idea's would be greatfully welcome
    Thanks
    Bob
    Sounds like the far end of the fence is not adjusted correctly. It should be about .010 (two playing cards) wider in the back than the front. A second cause maybe be the material your ripping, some species are more prone to having the kerf close when cutting. Adjusting the fence, a good sharp blade. and dry material will most likely solve your problem.

I "gorilla" armed the arbor nut and warped the blade that came on my Ridgid TS3660.
    (It's actually pretty easy to do with a thin kerf blade.)

It would pinch and bind on me just as you describe.

I've since added a couple of dedicated rip blades and only use the original blade w/my x-cut sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I "gorilla" armed the arbor nut and warped the blade that came on my Ridgid TS3660.
    (It's actually pretty easy to do with a thin kerf blade.)

It would pinch and bind on me just as you describe.

I've since added a couple of dedicated rip blades and only use the original blade w/my x-cut sled.
    well i think i found the problem ...a combo of pos fence (original) and blade height...
    Its and old saw and i mostly use it with a sled for my segment work so i don't do a lot of ripping with it.
    The slider guides on the fence might as well not even be there for all the good there doing..lol...guess i better work on that ..so i set the fence so that it was slightly wider on the backside of the blade and raised the blade height of the blade to about a 1/2 inch above the wood and this seems to work for now...sigh...someday i will have a new saw but then if i did that knowing my luck id get a big kickback and couldn't use it!

Thanks guys for all the advice and help...now where did i put that dang handsaw!
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Look around for a used fence to upgrade. I got a bargain on a Delta T2 and put it on my old C'man. Search here and you'll find some ideas on how to install it. Takes some minor mods but if I can do it, anyone can.