Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's George?

Where's George?

Has anyone been in contact with George Wilson? He hasn't been around since Irene. I hope things are well with him and it's only a matter of downed power lines.

I was wondering and hoping the same thing. I'm guessing he'll resurface soon.

In the hide glue thread a little below this one, David posted:

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Bob and others have pretty much wrapped this thread up. I just talked to George, since he was brought up in this thread - he's out of power now, may have it back tomorrow, maybe a day or two after that, but he'll be back when he's able to get online - he wanted me to relay that.
    Hope it wasn't too bad on folks down that way. Up here, we didn't have hardly if any wind damage, but the whole state is a wreck from some of the worst flooding of the century, particularly as we were just getting back up to speed from some pretty nasty spring floods. Storms of this type don't usually hit this far north. I remember being in Boston for Floyd, and this was worse; I can't imagine what it's like when you get south enough that they're actually hurricanes.

Thanks, Joshua.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Good to know it's just power. I had no power for a few days here too. One of the disadvantages to having a well...no power, no water. I practically did a happy dance when the power came back on.

I'm up in Richmond, NW of where George is in Williamsburg, and the power lines here took a beating. The storm was a bit heavier down George's way. No fun what-so-ever. I hope he will get his power back soon.

Best to all!!

-Jerry

John, that's a good point. When I moved to the city 12 years ago (well, the burbs at the fringe of the city), i thought for sure life as I knew it was over....

...but when Ike (I think it was Ike) went by to the west of here and stirred up our weather in the ohio valley and left a couple of million people out of power with an entire afternoon and evening of 40-80 mile per hour gusts under clear skies, we had no power for over a week, but the pumping station did and the gas water heater worked. Had no lights, it was like being amish (fun's over and go to sleep once the sun goes down) except we had running hot water - I was thankful for that. Fun will be over with a new water heater - i hear the old style with no fan like ours can't meet energy standards. I'd get another one and pay the extra $3 a month it takes to make it go just for the ability to use it when the power is out.

Talked to George a little more this evening. No serious property damage (he has a lot of tall trees around his house, shop, business), just a lot of downed lines in his neighborhood and no running water. Bet it smells like an amish household around there!

Here on Long Island, we lost power for four or so days, and the storm didn't even seem as bad as I thought it would be. We lost a bunch of big tree branches (no trees luckily). It's interesting to watch how certain trees react to the wind. The pin oaks on my neighbor's property and ours were shaking up a storm, and so were the pines. The beech trees we have didn't move at all, except for the branches and very top slightly. These trees are right near the house, which is good.

There were trees down here and there along the road, but I was really surprised to see how the hurricane knocked the system out for that long.

Probably the worst part was the cold showers, haha. Cooking wasn't too bad on the barbeque, though making a simple cup of coffee wasn't so simple.

Anyway, I hope everyone here hit by the hurricane is okay.

Definitely glad the Northeast/mid Atlantic is ok. Down here we're preparing for a slow moving tropical storm that has the potential to flood the s*** out of us. Last night I started making a mental list of the tools I would bring with me if we have to evacuate, which fortunately isn't too likely seeming yet, but is possible. It's going to be quite a labor day weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Definitely glad the Northeast/mid Atlantic is ok. Down here we're preparing for a slow moving tropical storm that has the potential to flood the s*** out of us. Last night I started making a mental list of the tools I would bring with me if we have to evacuate, which fortunately isn't too likely seeming yet, but is possible. It's going to be quite a labor day weekend!
    Actually, Connecticut and Vermont got walloped. I'm curious at the almost complete lack of national reporting on this. Honestly, I think they're all just embarrassed because they had the storm pegged entirely wrong and they didn't have teams of reporters on the ground tracking things here, but it doesn't excuse ignoring it. Vermont especially.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Actually, Connecticut and Vermont got walloped. I'm curious at the almost complete lack of national reporting on this. Honestly, I think they're all just embarrassed because they had the storm pegged entirely wrong and they didn't have teams of reporters on the ground tracking things here, but it doesn't excuse ignoring it. Vermont especially.
    Unfortunately that actually doesn't surprise me much. Anytime there's a natural disaster a large number of affected areas don't get much reporting. A whole bunch of the gulf coast got walloped back when Katrina hit (I was still living in MN at the time), but all we really heard about in the Midwest was New Orleans. After I moved down here, I learned that the impact was far more widespread, and that what actually happened in New Orleans and all the other affected areas, was far worse than what was reported.

Umm, I feel like I need to say something woodworking related now - Oh I know - I guess if we loose power it will at least have very little impact on my woodworking. I love being a Neander!

Anyway, glad George is okay. Hopefully he'll be back online soon. Kudos for starting this thread John.

Here in MD they are talking about new England quite a bit. The shots coming out of VT are really amazing. We were lucky here as I lost power for about 12 hours and no real damage other than a wet basement. I think the news guys had it going right up CT and VT all along I just don't think they knew what all of that rain would do in flooding. For them it's only news if they can look real awesome holding their hat in a gust of wind and they didn't think it would be that bad in New England. All of the flooding videos have made them happy I am sure in a sic kind of way....

We had one news girl in Annapolis I think doing the wind dance while trying to talk into the microphone. She looked real convincing until 2 people walked behind her and were having no problems at all. They have to make it look like more than it is. Stupid but true.

Tony Kornheiser had one of our longtime anchors on his radio show and she was joking on how they would change camera angles to make something look much worse than it was because they didn't get the location the other channel got and everyone wanted to see the other channel.

Sadly freedom of the press is freedom for them to show us what they want to show us .
    Last edited by john davey; 09-02-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Yeah, I've heard some of upstate NY got hit pretty hard. I saw a brief news report on a few towns that were severely flooded, but I haven't seen a huge amount of coverage either. Maybe I just happened not to see it on tv.

I suspect that politics will keep down publicity about the storm, particularly FEMA, as in remember Katrina.

Pam

It didn't destroy NYC as the media had hoped, so they moved on. They were giddy with anticipation Sunday morning when it was still a hurricane and was moving in.