Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What diamond product to purchase for stone lapping?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    Survey says "not a chance"

Your speckly yellow thing shown up yet?

Stu.
    Yeah, no way. I just hope a few people see that, because to my mind, I was suggesting it as something I wish existed when I was blowing lots of money on stones. Adding the "best" (my opinion) midrange diamond hone is a really nice touch - nice complete turnkey set.

No packages yet, but it can't be far off. I have a few irons to try on the 3000 (looking forward to being able to dump the sloppy aoto, it doesn't like the really hard irons, anyway) and a fat 1820s 7/8 old english wedge razor and another vintage solingen razor coming that will benefit from the delivery, I'm sure. Maybe I'll end up eating my words!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Folks in the market for new stones would have to be nuts not to take you up on that.
    I guess I'm not nuts then
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

$60 to $200 for a plate to flatten sharpening stones? Ridiculous. Y'all have to be kidding.

Just toss a dry sheet of 25-cent, 80-grit wet-or-dry paper on the ground jointer table and have at it. It'll make short work of sandstone.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

If you've never had a vintage solingen razor you're going to love it. I bought and sold a few razors there for a while, but ended up keeping an American, a Sheffield, and a Solingen (all hollow ground). The difference in steels and weights is so varied, and of course it is a variance you can feel.

Pfffft....stones for stones? When I want to flatten my stones I just put some mortar between my cheeks and put the stone in there while I walk around the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Yeah, no way. I just hope a few people see that, because to my mind, I was suggesting it as something I wish existed when I was blowing lots of money on stones. Adding the "best" (my opinion) midrange diamond hone is a really nice touch - nice complete turnkey set.

No packages yet, but it can't be far off. I have a few irons to try on the 3000 (looking forward to being able to dump the sloppy aoto, it doesn't like the really hard irons, anyway) and a fat 1820s 7/8 old english wedge razor and another vintage solingen razor coming that will benefit from the delivery, I'm sure. Maybe I'll end up eating my words!
    Last edited by john brenton; 09-01-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    It's sufficiently stout..

I shave with two solingen razors, three I guess if you count a small solingen origin 4/8 razor, but it's too small and light and I feel like as little as it has in oomph, i'm going to end up with a nasty cut with it - I don't use it much.

I've had some domestics, just don't now - but only because my germany-origin razors have been in better shape cosmetically. I just sent a gruesome looking 6/8 from detroit to schtoo (a razor to waste off playing with stones and powders), it felt a lot like german steel on the stones, though I didn't finish honing it for a reason I can't recall. It was marked detroit "standart warranted" brand, and has those horrible looking imitation bamboo scales (they look like finger bones) that must've been popular 100 years ago.

I saw your post the other day about finding a filarmonica razor - never used one, and at the rate they sell, I probably won't! If I found one at an antique store cheap (unlikely), I'd give it a shot, though. The shave board people are nutty about them. I don't get as goofy about shaving as we do about woodworking, I just like to use them to shave, it makes my morning a lot nicer.

I didn't shave with the Filarmonica. One because even honing it up would have killed the whole "mint factor", and two because those blades are way too big. They are made for big viking beards or something.

The American is the first straight razor I ever bought. It's a polished Henkels half-hollow (no relation to Henckles). It's a good razor but the steel is a little hard. Nice traditional celluloid/ivoroid handles with the art deco design.

I forget who the Solingen razor manufacturer was...something really bizarre. It was never used and has antler scales. It's the difference between a new plane iron and a good old woodie iron. One swipe on the stones or the linen strop and it just leaves a big black carbon trail. It's a quarter-hollow unpolished.

By far the best shave I get, or have ever gotten, is with the Wenstenholm 4/8 pipe razor. The camber is just perfect, and none of the other razors I've ever had have done as effective of a job. It doesn't do too well on a shaggy face, but it's my 5 o'clock shadow razor. It just so happens to be the razor that cut the bejeezus out of my face. The tang is so tiny for my clumsy hands that it slipped...even with the ridges on the grip of the tang. When I say bejeezus of course I mean a micro slice so tiny that it took five minutes for blood to come out...and you can't even see it...but for the face that's a "bejeezus".

I shave with two solingen razors, three I guess if you count a small solingen origin 4/8 razor, but it's too small and light and I feel like as little as it has in oomph, i'm going to end up with a nasty cut with it - I don't use it much.

I've had some domestics, just don't now - but only because my germany-origin razors have been in better shape cosmetically. I just sent a gruesome looking 6/8 from detroit to schtoo (a razor to waste off playing with stones and powders), it felt a lot like german steel on the stones, though I didn't finish honing it for a reason I can't recall. It was marked detroit "standart warranted" brand, and has those horrible looking imitation bamboo scales (they look like finger bones) that must've been popular 100 years ago.

I saw your post the other day about finding a filarmonica razor - never used one, and at the rate they sell, I probably won't! If I found one at an antique store cheap (unlikely), I'd give it a shot, though. The shave board people are nutty about them. I don't get as goofy about shaving as we do about woodworking, I just like to use them to shave, it makes my morning a lot nicer.
    Last edited by john brenton; 09-01-2011 at 12:50 PM.

There are apparently lots of weirdo solingen manufacturers (or were), right? (like I said, I don't follow razors too much). The ones I have, one was branded for Philip Eisamann hardware in Lancaster, PA, another one has an engraved spine and the brand Friedr. Dennert, and the third one - the skinny one - is "magna" brand. I'm getting a Massachusetts made razor in the mail today, and a wedge ( a true wedge - 1820s sheffield style ), but if they're like the rest of the razors I've used, they'll be out the door before too long because I can't unseat my two big germans, especially the dennert. I end up with off-brand, or non-collectible razors because I can't bear to pay what people want for the ones that are popular to collect, no matter how good the razors.

Neither of my two 6/8 users are too soft, though. The only stones that make black with them are the shapton and chosera, and I kind of like to keep my razors off the artificial stones. I did have a robeson shure-edge NY made razor that left black everywhere, though. it was nice, but too small and thin, like the others i've cast off.

No way I could keep a razor around and not use it - filarmonica or not. There appear to be a lot of filarmonica razors that were never used on ebay, people want the moon for them. I wonder why there are so many - maybe they are just more popular for dealers to put on ebay since they can bring big bucks. If I ever came across such a thing, I would put it on the stones the day I found it and have a shave with it before the end of the morning the following day.

I have done a lot worse to my face than what you're describing - mostly when I haven't gotten cut in a while and I get complacent about handling the razor while it's not in the cut. Nothing that would ever put me in a horror movie, though.

Blog Entries
    Dang stop all the talk about straight razors, I was itching to buy one before...I love my long tooth, open comb, double edge but I have been teetering on the fine edge....

I just took a look through and it's been a while. I haven't looked at razors in at least a year or so. There's quite a few nice ones right now, you just need to stay away from the big names that people have on saved searches: Butcher, Dovo, Filarmonica, Henckles etc etc.

I never paid more than $20 for a straight razor, and they were all just about mint. Actually that's not true. The one time I paid more that $20 it turned out to be a piece of junk. Funny how that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Dang stop all the talk about straight razors, I was itching to buy one before...I love my long tooth, open comb, double edge but I have been teetering on the fine edge....
    Last edited by john brenton; 09-01-2011 at 2:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    Chris, yours are not speckly yellow, just yellow and speckly pink.

But buttah smooth.

Stu.

(How the heck do I shift 3 dozen stones I made a mistake with quickly? Hmm...)
    Not yellow! Egg colored, I was told it would be egg colored

I looked for a long time for a good dedicated razor hone, but those dang ebayers just drive the cost up like crazy. We're talking 10 bids with 6d 7h to go. You know what I'm talking about. It's ridiculous.

I had one of those "Smith's" grey arkansas stones they have at home depot, you know the ones that are mounted to plastic. I took it off the plastic and lapped it on progressively finer sandpaper. It turned out to be a perfect touch up razor hone. Except for the initial shaping and honing with the Nortons to get the razor up and running, in three years I've never had to hone with anything else.

I kind of like to keep my razors off the artificial stones.

For a while I just used the shapton and then zinged the razor on some green powder to take the smarts off (graded powder that's a little more uniform and less aggressive than the LV green stuff). Shapton = ouch shave.

I could never be convinced to buy an escher or a charnley forest or any of these other ones that were cheap and common when they were mined but now are somehow monstrously expensive. Even the coticules have gotten ridiculous over the last few years (I think a fast cutting one of those would actually be a nice woodworking stone, but not at $350). tiny little stones for $500

Last month, I bit the bullet and called alex gilmore and told him I wanted something small and inexpensive (ugly was OK, as long as it was fine and cut fast enough to be effective to use), and got a small antique japanese razor stone. It is the finest and most buttery (while still being hard) stone that I have ever used, I can't imagine what an "expensive" one might be like. I can strop off the palm of my hand 10 times and get a very close comfortable shave with no irritation. I no longer use a leather strop, no pastes, etc, so the edge of the razor is exactly the same every single shave.

I could get almost as good of results off of the very cheap woodcraft chinese stone, though, and that one can cut fast if you have anything that can raise just a little bit of a slurry on it. I think they were less than $20 this past week. Still have to be able to flatten it initially, but surprisingly good for razors even if I could never get along with it for woodworking.

The particulars of being able to get a good quick comfortable and sharp edge straight off of a stone with no strops, pastes or powders has helped me understand how to get a lot more out of some natural stones I had dismissed as being slow, scratchy or useless.

So, ...mike, can we help push you over the edge? Everyone here who has stones has a leg up on using a straight razor, because the only thing you could possibly want is a stone that might be finer and a little less aggressive as a finisher than something like a normal woodworking 6000 grit type stone would be (and that's something that can be had for $20). Well, that and a clean strop.

My mode when I am buying razors is to go to ebay some monday evening and search "straight razor", and go through the razors in nearest ending time, and then let esnipe do the work for me. If it doesn't work out, then I do it again some other day.

I can't boast of paying little as often as john, I paid $65 for the dennert razor several years ago. But, it has classy silver dressed scales that might be ivory, jimps on both sides of the tang, a french point, almost perfect corrosion free metal and very nice engraving on the spine and no sign of wear on it. All of the rest of my plain razors have been somewhere in the neighborhood of $15-$20, and all have been good shavers.

The wedge cost me $75, though. I just couldn't find a good wedge cheap - I don't understand why everyone wants to pay gobs for a sheffield made wedge.

(sorry for to the OP the OT)