Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let me see your Plough

Let me see your Plough

I have been lacking a decent plough since I got the woodworking bug. I still use power tools, as alot of us do, and all my grooves are made with a router or table saw. But when making a something with just a few grooves I really dislike setting up and running a power tool to accomplish the task. I hate the noise from power tools and typically avoid them if possible.

Anyways, I just want to see what people out there have for plough planes. Pictures would be my preference but opinions are all welcome as well. I have been eyeing the ECE Fenced plough plane of late as it is somewhat affordable compared to many of the other infill or wooden plough's. I'm also very interested about what Lie Nielsen has in the works, rumors are flying.

I have the LV plow.... Excellent plane... although blades sizes only go up to 3/8" ... For the money, you cant beat it with a stick.

I use a Marples M44. The Record 44 is more common. They are similar to the Stanley 50, sort of a middle size between the Record 40 / 43 mini ploughs and the Stanley 45 everything-but-the-kitchen-sink combination planes. I think the LV would be a great choice, or if LN decides to offer one.

m44-plough.jpg

I really like my LV plow. It works just like I think it should, and does a nice job for me.

Some years ago I bought a Record 044 and loved it so much I bought a Record 043 to keep it company. However, if the LV plow had been available at that time, I probably would have bought one of those.

Pam

Blog Entries
    I'm with Pam in that I got the 044 quite a while ago and love it. I think the LV was available at the time but I held out for the Record. However, if I couldn't have found one, I would have also plunked down for the LV.

Patrick Leach lead his tool list by saying he had been in England and caused them to part with many of their tools. To me, that's code for a whole bunch of Records that are going to show up on his list.

Just for kicks I checked on my reliable UK tool suppliers, and found that Andrew Stephens of Inchmartine listed two 044's a few months ago, not marked as sold.

581/ FINE clean very little used early RECORD, SHEFFIELD No. 044 nickel plated rebate plane in original cardboard box. Full set of original blades. Very good condition. Order £40

583/ Good clean RECORD, SHEFFIELD No. 044 nickel plated rebate plane complete with all 8 original blades. Order £35

I shoot him an email and ask, Andy

Pam

I have a couple of wooden ploughs, a wedge-arm and a screw-arm. The screw-arm is a bit easier to adjust. Both can be a little finicky setting the iron, but are great fun to use.

Most ploughs you find at antique stores and flea markets only have one iron, the rest having been lost to time. But sellers like Patrick Leach have sets of irons available. The only thing you have to watch for is that the iron width fits the mortise in the plane. If the irons are a little narrow, that's manageable.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Tony,

I have quite a few of the ECE planes and think they are really a great value as worker planes. The plow is not one of them. I found it terribly unbalanced and honestly quite ugly compared to the antiques. I sold it. And mine had the wooden screws whereas the new ones are aluminum (even uglier!).

Like several others have said, if you can't find a real nice antique with a correct/matching set of irons (or can afford/wait for one from Old Street), I think the Record 044 or LV are good choices. I picked up a perfect 044 from Patrick several months ago (to go with the 043 that is also a gem) and couldn't be happier. Patrick has/had quite a few 044's so you might contact him. I have only played with the LV small plow and it is excellent as well. Supposedly, they are coming out with a large plow and maybe L-N is at some point, too.

Take care,
    Kevin

I just recently bought a complete stanley/wards combination plane and I love it. I made a mini nicholson bench with a drawer for my sons room with it, and I've put it through all the passes, except for the sash cutter. Its only a pita if you change out the irons and spur and then realize that you had one more groove or rabbet to cut.Its an awesome plough.
    It's sufficiently stout..

I'll put in a word for a Stanley #50.....they are a decent tool....having never used any of the others (Records or Marples) I can't compare. I also have the #45 which is better as a plow than it is as anything else. For a set size and a set distance from the edge ( 1/4" groove 1/4" in from the edge or other small sizes) the recent grooving planes that FWW had in their article are great. My std. for a drawer bottom is 1/4" @ 1/4" so I made a pr. and they are so slick to use!!! and quick...
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Here are mine.

Record 044 & 043
    DSC01174.JPG

2 Greenslade Wedge Arm
    DSC01175.JPG

Ohio Tool/Sandusky #97
    DSC01176.JPG

I sold my Record #044 about 2 years ago, which is unusual for me as I keep a lot of tools in my "library" for reference when doing reviews or research. I was feeling a strong need at the time to divest myself of many of these tools (much in the same way that Chris Schwarz has done recently). The #044 is an excellent plough, however it is bettered by the Veritas Small Plow, which is my go-to plane. The Veritas is beautifully balanced, and its finish and ease of adjustments make it a pleasure to use.

I also like the Record #043 (mine is the version made by Rapier). Simple and able to be used one-handed. Excellent for small drawers. But then the Veritas is better here as well.

A comparison of these planes is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...w%20Plane.html

The other plane I like as a plough is the Stanley #45. The skew-bladed #46 is an excellent plane for dados.

Then I have another that I do use on occasions, but mostly just inspires me ...

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...oughPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ah, Derek, I forgot about that Miller's Patent...I was hoping your comment at the end of your post was a tease about a new plow/plough by our friends in Canada...wishful thinking!

Take care,
    Kevin