Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Multi Master Type tool?

Best Multi Master Type tool?

Im looking to buy one of the multi master type tools and was wondering which on is the best bang for your buck. I know dremel makes a few models and of course Fein but who makes the best for the best price?

Depends on how much you're going to use it. I have a Harbor Freight and for my needs, it's great. Right now, they're $20 for the fixed speed one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've used the both the fein and the harbor freight model. I ended up buying the single speed model from harbor freight and haven't regretted it. It's one of my go to tools.

I'm happy with rockwell's version. It feels very rugged and works great. It came with a lot of accessories, I guess I'd compare what they come with to pick which one is the best value for you.

Looks like rockler has the entry level version of it on sale with free shipping right now.

I have both a Fien and a couple of HF's. I think I know where the Fien is, but I know exactly where one of the HF's is. It's been busy earning money this week on a bathroom floor replacement job. For blades to fit the HF, go to Northern Tool. Their blades are thicker, stronger, and most importantly last longer. Same price as HF blades.

I was waiting until the right time to buy a Fein (when I had a job that NEEDED one). Last weekend I found a Sonicrafter at Lowes on the bargain table for $50.00. It had all the blades so I bought it. Haven't used it yet, other than to make sure it worked. I've got some ideas where it will work though. Looking forward to trying it.

I have Fein and a Bosch cordless I bought on Amazon refurb for $75.00. I love the Bosch and use it several times a week in my home repair business.

AZCRAIG

I have a

Rockwell corded model that I have used a lot on a kitchen remodel. It is built like a tank but does get hot after extended use. I have a Bosch cordless that I got because Lowe's had it on close out for $40. Unless I find a sale on blades, I use craftsman blades on both. this requires the use of an adapter which is included with both. For quick jobs, I use the Bosch because it is handier. For heavy jobs or ones that will take a lot of time, I use the Rockwell. I have not used any others.

I have a Dremel (do yourself a favor and pass on the Dremel), two or three of the HF fixed speed ones and a Pro something or other LiIon cordless I picked up on sale @ Menards for about $20.00.

Pro's:
    HF - price. For $59.00 it's a fair price for a not too shabby tool. For $20 to $30 on sale, it's a bargin.
    HF - uses full 2" long blades. You can plunge cut all the way through 2x stock.
    HF- hefty.
    Dremel - variable speed
    Dremel - seems to make cleaner more precision type cuts. It could be the blades or the tool.
    Dremel - light weight.

Pro-whatever - "cordless handy", and LiIon "always ready". <--my go to 90% of the time.

Cons:
    HF - it's a Harbor Freight electric tool. As great as it is, it's still a Chinese made low quality tool. I fully expect it to fail on me in the middle of a job.
    Dremel - runs extremely hot and vibrates a lot.
    Dremel - stock blades imit depth of plunge cut to a little over 1". Will not go through 2X stock.
    Pro-whatever it is. - it's a Menards branded tool. When the LiIon battery goes, the tool will probably go with it.

My conclusion is that, other than the Dremel, odds are any of the others will do a good job. Even the Dremel works, but, it's more of a hobby toy instead of a tool.

Edited to add - in case you wondered why two or three of the HF ones. I keep one in the car, one in the van and one in the shop. We have 4 rentals and there's always something that needs cut, trimmed or scraped.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 09-03-2011 at 6:22 AM.

The title of this thread should have been....

WHO MAKES THE SECOND BEST MULTIMASTER TYPE TOOL?

That's pretty funny, Larry.

I have the Fein. Works great, and after a couple small remodel jobs, it is probably 1/4 of the way to paying for itself. Up next--a hardwood floor installation/finishing next week. By the end of that job, it will probably be halfway to paying for itself.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I've had my Fein for about 10 years now and the only thing I'd consider to replace it with if I needed a lower cost tool is the new Bosch corded model and it is not a lot cheaper. (I have the Bosch cordless and I like it a lot but it is no replacement for the Fein). Look at it this way, none of the immitations is ever touted to be better than a Fein, only cheaper than a Fein. Also, with all of the universal blades and adaptors that are now available the biggest complaint about the Fein -high blade cost- is no longer a compelling arguement.

HF just sent out a flyer with a coupon for the Pro model for $39.99 if you're thinking going that way.

I should mention that one of the features that tipped the scales for me in favor of the Fein (I was considering the Rockwell also) was the tool-less blade change. That alone has saved me a fair amount of time.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I like Chinese food but not Chinese tools. IMHO, most of the tools from HF are cheap copies of the real thing. I bought a Fein and have never looked back.