Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: couple of hollow things with holes and finials

David,

Like I told you at the symposium you are much more talented the you give yourself credit. Both of these are wonderful pieces. I particularly like the buckeye burl piece and I think the final compliments the form better then the other, but I would proudly own either. Very well done.

Alan

David, those both look great. I really like stuff with gnarly holes in it!

I love the first vessel..the finial is outstnding..the 2nd vessel is neat too, but a bit dark for my taste.., compared to the first.

David, each of these pieces is extremely well done! The form on both is great, the wood on both is fantastic, and the "finial art" is executed with precision and creativity. On the elm piece, I like the overall look you have achieved, though I might have preferred to not hide as much of your nice finial detailing. But, other than some completely different design, I don't know how one would achieve that. It seems you have captured your concept very well.

The Buckeye piece stands above the other IMO for many reasons - unlike Michelle, I like the dark color, and the threading is a real plus! I still have two sets of thread chasers and no threads to show for it! However, the finial concept on the Buckeye piece is just perfect! I really, really like what you did with it.

Great work - really great work! Not sure you have a good entry for the "Beast" part of the contest, though!

Sweet looking pieces David...

Thanks to all who commented! I found turning for this contest to be a real eye opener for me... Forced creativity is an interesting concept, and I think participating has really helped me develop my turning muscle(not the same as Grumbine's version).

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    ...which is the beast?
    The buckeye piece is my beast entry... The dark colors and swirly patterns remind me of satellite photos of hurricanes, and the 'captured' vessel is reminiscent of the calm in the 'eye of the storm'... At least that's my interpretation!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    ...The only crit I would offer is that they're in your house and not mine! lol
    That can be arranged, Kathy! Perhaps a trade could be arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Willeson View Post
    So where do you find these burls with all the natural voids and defects? Scrounging in the woods or are they purchased?
    Thanks, Mike! The elm burl is local wood obtained from a local tree surgeon, and the buckeye is purchased. I find that burls of most varieties are naturally good candidates for pieces with voids because of the frequent bark inclusions and irregular surfaces. Give it a try if you're interested...

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ...I still have two sets of thread chasers and no threads to show for it!...
    Well then, get 'em out and thread some stuff! I'm kind of on a threading run lately, and I'll post another piece this weekend with a threaded top... I get a kick out of doing it, and I'll bet you would too! BTW, the Aussie burls are good for threading if you kept any of those 'rocks' from a while back!

Beautiful pieces. Best of luck! That's a very interesting finial on the buckeye.

Really great work on both David! The inside finial being visible through the void was a great idea. Have done a couple that were hidden until you lifted the lid but this is visibly cool! Will have to remember that one! The buckeye is probably my favorite though. Love the form and the wood!

Those ain't bad. Actually they are pretty good. In fact they are very good. Well...ok.... they are superb. Not much to add to what has been said already but here's what I'm seeing. The buckeye one with the little replication of the form and finial inside the finial begs for a third replication inside the small finial. And an even smaller one inside that. How small can you go? It's like one of those "infinity" things.... it could go on forever!
    David DeCristoforo

David,
    Those are simply amazing.
    Valerie is not easily impressed & she said that she would love to add that to her collection.
    You hit a grand slam with that finial on the buckeye.
    SAM

I arrived too late to this party to offer anything new in the way of comments, but had to add my admiration for these two pieces. I especially like the finial on your "beast" and was thinking what David D. mentioned above. Reminds me of Russian nesting dolls. Nice work and good luck in the contest.

Blog Entries
    Dave, I'm just telling you, your pieces are on the top of my list for beautiful turnings. Superb work my friend.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Outstanding!, I really enjoyed meeting you at SWAT.