Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a 3 phase bandsaw they run on single phase?

Anyone have a 3 phase bandsaw they run on single phase?

Looking for a bandsaw and there are several on craigslist but they are all 3 phase. Is it worth getting one of these and buying a phase inverter for it? I dont need the industrial use of a saw this size but i have read the Mebers are really high quality saws and at the price of a Grizzly saw I was just wondering if it was worth the effort of getting the Meber for my garage shop.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

There are two options to do this: The most expensive route is to buy a rotary phase converter(500-1000) or the cheaper way is to buy a VFD (factorymation.com) cost is 100 on up. The only limit on the VFD is the horsepower. Anything up to 3hp will work anything over that is the expensive route.

I use one for my table saw. You can control the ramp up and slow down speed. You only need a 240v outlet to do it.

I would get a vfd to run the saw. You will have to bypass the mag starter and the kill switch on the brake but a pretty good way to go for a couple hundred or so. Meber is a better saw than grizzly for sure not quite considered the equal of Centauro that supplies most minimax, Agazanni, or ACM. Look at the weight for the size in comparison to the others. The italians have beefed their saws up a lot in the last few years to increase the resaw height but if the height is in the 12-14" range compare it to saws of similar height rather than new. Dave

I run a 5 hp table saw on a simple static convertor (bank of capacitors to help start the saw)

Used VFD - cheap and effective.

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=101307 No,I have nothing to do with this just passing it on.But it sure does look like a good deal.I have a 5hp and wish now that I had a 7.5hp.----Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=101307 No,I have nothing to do with this just passing it on.But it sure does look like a good deal.I have a 5hp and wish now that I had a 7.5hp.----Carroll
    That is one big motor. To big for though. I only really need a bandsaw between 14 and 18 inches but the ones on craigslist are always 20+ inches and 3 phase. All the 14 inch bandsaws on the market today are just not up to par for any kind of real cutting IMO.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Buy a bigger saw and use a vfd. I have a 30" Tannawitz with a 3hp motor. The motor is as big as a 30 gallon drum. running it with a Teco FM50 vfd from factorymation. Works great and is no comparison to a 14" saw.

How close are you to Waverly, OH?

Jet Bandsaw

BCM_0222.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by brian c miller View Post
    I run a 5 hp table saw on a simple static convertor (bank of capacitors to help start the saw)
    Here's the picture... cost about $50 dollars.

If you use a static converter the motor is derated about 1/3. Go over to OWWM.org and read up on vfds, RPCs, including plans for making your own, and static converters. I run an Oliver 217-30" similar to the tanny PH and upgraded from a Laguna LT18 from the late 1990s. No comparison for resawing. Steel saws are fine but it takes a larger one to get even close to the old cast iron ones. There are several smaller heavy saws made today, MM16 and 20, several laguna models. All are more expensive new than older 20-24" steel saws and 30" cast iron machines but do have the capacity for resawing. Again, if you don't saw wider than eight inches it is less important but if you foresee wider boards and do a lot of sawing you will appreciate size and strength. Used saws are a real bargain right now. Dave

Im in Indianapolis but the Jet is on the small side for me.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

I found a 24" Tannawitz Advantage series woodworking BS for $2250. Looks to be in great shape but have never seen one up close. It is 3.6hp and 3 phase. Dont know where they make them but they look nice. Wonder how much it would cost to set it up with a vfd?
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

I wouldnt know what to look for in an old iron saw.....
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Im an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff. Does this mean I could buy a 3 phase bandsaw and wire it up to run on 220v?
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006