Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted Box Elder

Spalted Box Elder

I came into some logs from a neighbor and have been turning it for a couple days. Wow, it turns so wonderfully. However, it has this sweet, pungent stink to it. Is it just my wood, or have any of you experienced this? I'm going to let this dry and warp b4 putting a finish on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-03-2011 at 3:56 PM.

I just recently worked on a similar piece. I did not notice any odor at all.

Prashun - I've turned some Box Elder and never noticed any particular smell. Just a suggestion when you go to finish it, if you use a finish with UV protection, it should help the red in the wood from fading into a brown. I haven't tried it yet because I turn Box Elder so seldom but have been told that it works.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have some newly cut box elder and it has a distinctive smell, but it is more like freshly cut grass or hay. Mine is not spalted, nor does it have much of the red (unfortunately), so maybe that has something to do with the stink?

i've turned manybox elder pieces, and every one of them smelled like skunk!

Here in TN we call box elder fish wood because it stinks like dead fish.

Very nice Prashun and a nice chunk of wood. It's going to look even better once you get a finish on.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

like your form, looking forward to the finish

Really nice piece. Looking forward to seeing it with finish. I have never had a smell with the box elder I have turned.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Just about every piece of box elder that has been on my lathe had an unpleasant smell. They tell me that if the tree grows over a septic field...

The smell is often caused by the red spalting, which is actually decay in the wood, and not lightfast. There is no known way to save the red color with finish, but it can be enhanced by painting red pigment dye over the original red color with a small brush, then when the spalting fades the dye pigment will remain, and if artfully done will appear natural.

Beautiful wood, and looking forward to seeing a picture when finished. Remember, if you cut off the waste with a saw, you can perhaps use the cutoffs for breathtaking pens with the red, or even just uncolored burl.

I turn a bit of Box Elder and it always smells like a wet army blanket to me.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

About how long does it take for the red spalting to fade? Sad. Here's another rough turned bowl I've got drying right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depends on the amount of exposure to light, but while it's fresh like that, start painting with some diluted (H2O or alcohol) acrylic red paint, and follow the original patterns to save the color. That is a wonderful piece of ambrosia maple, and you'll be thankful that you "enhanced" the permanence of the color a year from now when the original red is gone, and the painted on red remains.