Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIG Ripper, another Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I think pear is one of finest of woods to work with. It takes a sheen off of my planes that is only rivaled by maple. It's so soft looking, yet can be very hard wood. I have some curly pear I've been saving for the right cabinet but just have yet to come up with a design that will do this wood justice. I am always on the look out for nice pear, seems hard to come by here in Maine. I'd love to see some more pics of the pear you're talking about Klaus. It's hard to put in words my affection towards pear, but is probably my absolute favorite wood to work with.
    I agree that Pear is wonderful to work with. One exception might be the finishing of small workpieces. It mercyless shows up the smallest imperfections after being oiled.

Here's a pic of a bookshelf I've made out of the Pear wood which I mentioned above.

B5465.jpg

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kretschmar View Post
    The blade is 29 1/2" long (at the toothline), 4" deep at the toe and 8 1/2"" deep at the heel (in front of the handle). It has a 2-pitch-layout, the first 5" are toothed to 7 TPI, the rest to 3.5 TPI. The taper of the plate reaches from 0.040" at the toothline to about 0.028" at the top of the blade.
    Wow, is this for Arnold Schwarzenegger's next movie, "Conan The Woodworker"? And 3.5 TPI ??? Truly shocking!

But if you can tune this monster to work smoothly, it ought to be a fast ripper. Beautiful sculptural handle.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Branam View Post
    Wow, is this for Arnold Schwarzenegger's next movie, "Conan The Woodworker"? And 3.5 TPI ??? Truly shocking!
    Conan the Woodworker also uses a No. 8 as an apron plane.

conanthewoodworker.jpg

(click to make bigger - sorry it's not great, but I really wasn't going to spend more than 5 minutes on something this silly)

Stunning saw Klaus - since I lack a bandsaw I'd love to have a big ripper like that in my shop! Given the difficulty of manufacture are you planning to make more of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Conan the Woodworker also uses a No. 8 as an apron plane.

conanthewoodworker.jpg

(click to make bigger - sorry it's not great, but I really wasn't going to spend more than 5 minutes on something this silly)

Hi Joshua,

that's too cool. It took a while until I realized that Conan is holding our saw in his hands. How on earth you've managed this??? Even the thumbhole is used by him! Thank you a lot, I've saved the pic in a sudden.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Williams View Post
    Stunning saw Klaus - since I lack a bandsaw I'd love to have a big ripper like that in my shop! Given the difficulty of manufacture are you planning to make more of them?
    Tristan, yes, we are selling saws. If this particular saw will be made in that design is not decided yet. It needs to be tested at first. But I guess that it will get a less deep plate if we'll make it.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

That is truly brilliant! It brought tears to my eyes, I was laughing so hard!

I notice he likes the thumbhole grip, too!

Klaus, I think I see your marketing strategy emerging here. Where can I get the poster?
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

I wonder if a supplementary crosscut handle might be useful keeping this in the kerf...

It will be heavy enough to stay down in the work, but I would not be able to drive it with one hand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Williams View Post
    Hi Tristan,

I've reported in some threads that I've softened an over hardened blade with the heat gun. This is this special blade. I've another one in the shop wich I bowed badly in the oven. When we are going to make more of them, we will have to lmake sure the have the correct hardness.

I tested the blade with another handle (Klaus made the holes for the screwes with a new special drill bit after the saw was in my shop) and likes it well. I agree, that some inches less wouldn't hurt. But now the saw is sawing, I won't touch this blade anymore.

Cheers Pedder

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kretschmar View Post
    Hi Joshua,

that's too cool. It took a while until I realized that Conan is holding our saw in his hands. How on earth you've managed this???
    Google Image Search, a copy of Photoshop and a few too many minutes as I start my vacaction . . . The trick with something goofy like this is making it small enough you don't notice that I didn't take much time. (10 minutes tops) It's "paint grade" photoshop I couldn't not do it after Steve's comment.

Google Image Search, a copy of Photoshop and a few too many minutes as I start my vacaction . . . The trick with something goofy like this is making it small enough you don't notice that I didn't take much time. (10 minutes tops) It's "paint grade" photoshop I couldn't not do it after Steve's comment.
    You're an artist!!!

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Hahaha...good stuff man. I was thinking Lou Ferigno, but the ever homoerotic Conan works too!! There could be some Chuck Norris in there too.
    Conan the Woodworker also uses a No. 8 as an apron plane.conanthewoodworker.jpg (click to make bigger - sorry it's not great, but I really wasn't going to spend more than 5 minutes on something this silly)
    It's sufficiently stout..