Thread: ECE router plane replacement blades

ECE router plane replacement blades

I picked up a ECE wooden router plane at an antique store. Only one blade. Anyone know of a source for replacement blades?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If it's the same as the model they currently produce, a quick look shows Highland Woodworking and Traditional Woodworker both stock replacement irons in sets of three.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I picked up a ECE wooden router plane at an antique store. Only one blade. Anyone know of a source for replacement blades?
    Dieter offers a set of 6 replacement blades, you just have to worry about shipping costs.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    If it's the same as the model they currently produce, a quick look shows Highland Woodworking and Traditional Woodworker both stock replacement irons in sets of three.
    WOW! $95 for a set of 3. Guess it's time to (try) make my own set.

Anyone know of a more affordable set that may work?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I would check the dimension of the shaft and see if the LV will fit or could be adapted. I'm not sure if the shaft on the LV 1/2" irons has to be purchased separately -- it unscrews. The narrow irons are one piece. Price is a lot more reasonable!
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 09-04-2011 at 9:36 PM.

Hi Pam, you have the plough blades in mind, don't you?

Dieter also sells the router blades Dave wants to have, the set fpr 56€ wich comes close to the HWW or TWW prices regarding the cross ocean shipping.

Another option is to watch out for Grundhobel on german ebay. There were some Ulmia (will fit ECE, too) spare blades ladt week for 9 € each. Bu they never appear when you need them.

Cheers
    Pedder

Quote Originally Posted by Pedder Broockmann View Post
    Hi Pam, you have the plough blades in mind, don't you?

Dieter also sells the router blades Dave wants to have, the set fpr 56€ wich comes close to the HWW or TWW prices regarding the cross ocean shipping.

Another option is to watch out for Grundhobel on german ebay. There were some Ulmia (will fit ECE, too) spare blades ladt week for 9 € each. Bu they never appear when you need them.
    Thanks for getting me on track, Pedder. I got in the habit of shopping at Dieter's and/or DICK's 5 or 6 years ago when the dollar-mark relationship was more advantageous; but even today some good deals can be found, like the sets of Chinese carver's/sculptor's chisels I bought this spring.

Pam

You can look into using allen wrenches. Derek Cohen did a little something about it on his web page. I'm not sure if it would work without modifying your plane though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    WOW! $95 for a set of 3. Guess it's time to (try) make my own set.Anyone know of a more affordable set that may work?
    It's sufficiently stout..

9. Hi Dave,

some intresting numbers:

feel free to pm me if help is needed with shipping to USA....

Cheers
    Pedder