Thread: Chisel Purchase

Chisel Purchase

As many of you may recall from prior posts, my strong preference is for old rather than new handtools. Well, I need to outfit a second shop, and so decided to be a bit lazy and see if I could get away with it, so I went to the place we can't mention here, and bought a set of NOS Bahco chisels. They are tang chisels, wood handles, 10.5" long, bevel edged, metric sized. What I could call bevel edge bench chisels. I paid about $58, including shipping. I note that at the current time the price is up a bit.
    Well, they arrived, and this morning, I spent 2 hours lapping and honing them. There were not in bad shape, so it works out to 20 min. each, which is much faster for me than older tools. Just cut a mortise in hard maple, 1/2:", and the edge help up well, with no rolling. Seems to be pretty good steel.

I thought I would pass this buy info along for those in the market for an inexpensive chisel set. No affiliation, etc. Pix is from the bay.

One reason that I made this decision is that I have a full set of butt Bahco's, from the early 80's, and they are of excellent steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alan,
    Congrats on the chisels. Sometimes we here on the forum poo-poo lesser known brands out of hand without knowing if they are anygood or not. I have several different brands of chisels in my shop. Some old (Stanley, Whiterby, Swan and Buck), and some new (Lee Valley, Buck, and Marples). I use them all, and find that for my use, once sharpened and honed, they all perform about the same. I guess we would all love to have a set of the LN's, but at $50 apiece, I'll not be getting them anytime soon. I guess I'm not as critical as some.
    Herb
    Carrollton, Texas

Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abraham Lincoln

Alan

Of course you know that Bahco are the decendents of Berg chisels? With genes such as these, they have to be good!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
    I did not know that; thx. I do recall that my older Bahco's have a fish emblem on them, as I recall. Bahco bought out Sandvik several years ago, and one of my new chisels has the name Sandvik on it.
    Alan