Thread: downed limbs

downed limbs

Is Sweet Gum turnable? I can get some 6-7 inch limbs that broke off of a sweet gum tree. Are these turnable or shoule I make bandsaw boxes out of them?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Turns fine but prone to cracking and warping.

Sweet Gum is one of my favorite turning woods. It moves a LOT, but looks amazing. It can soak up finish like a sponge. I only use it for bowls that I don't plan to embellish.

Turns get when it's wet, but it hold water like a camel...cover up when you turn it!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I like sweet gum. It moves around alot while drying but can be some nice looking wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It also can do some really wild spalting.

I also like gum. As a mater of fact i have a piece on the lath as i type. like has been said does like to move, so ruff turn and then put back on after it dries.here's a piece i finished last week.And the piece on the lathe.006 [800x600].jpg010 [800x600].jpg These are both burls, but are gum.

If it grows, its turn-able

Make some spindle blanks out of the sapwood on the limb. These are great for the finials on ornaments and bowl lids, if you want a white spindle. Just be sure to let them dry at least 6 months for each incl of thickness, to lessen warping after turning, and allow air to circulate throughout the stack of spindles. I have made some from this, and they give good results.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Thanks for all the answers! If I make something I'll post a picture!

Jonathan