Thread: Bradford Pear Salad Bowls

Bradford Pear Salad Bowls

IMG_5529.JPGIMG_5531.JPGIMG_5530.JPG
    These 4 bowls are for gifts and meant to be used by some friends. I made them somewhat unusual without a solid rim and finished with Grapeseed Oil so that they would be used and not a display item, but easily oiled after using. The bowls are 14 1/2" to 15 1/2" D x 4" H. The bowls were green turned back in May '10 and wood was dry and hard. Sanding to 400 really produces a nice surface when oiled.

Very nice Thomas! Interesting rim treatment. I have turned some pear and really like it as well. Is grapeseed oil a common finish?
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

nicely turned. they are huge at 15" ..they will be used for generations.

Well done! I am interested in hearing about the grapeseed oil, as well. First time to hear that.

Very nice set of salad bowls. I have sanded with oil at times and I agree, you can get a very nice finish.

Lovely work! Dry pear can be pretty hard, but it's still one of my favorite turning woods.

Really nice bowls and interesting rim. Pear is a great turning wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice work, I really like those.

Nicely done; interesting take on the rim.

I too am interested in the Grape seed oil finish.
    Does it dry or is it more like mineral oil.
    Also where do you get it. Lots of sources from google but as with walnut oil there is the supermarket stuff then there is Mahoney's stuff.

Thanks.
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

very nice, +4 or 5 on this grapeseed oil

Here's a link to a food forum discussing what to use on wooden cutting boards. Grape seed oil is mentioned, but that's all.

http://www.foodieforums.com/vbulleti...p?t-6405.html&
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Grapeseed Oil is used a lot by the Texas Hill Country Mesquite people as a finish for Mesquite. I had first seen it used several years ago when attending the Texas Mesquite Association Show in Fredericksburg, TX and had bought a quart at the local health food store here in Tyler. I was reminded about it again at SWAT the week previous, and I wanted to finish these bowls fast since I am in the process of trying to move (when I find a house with some shop space). Grapeseed Oil seems to dry a little harder and give a little more luster than the Mahoney Walnut Oil. It is reported to not turn rancid and can be easily recoated. I wiped on a couple of heavy coats on 6 pieces over about 30 minutes and let dry for another 10 minutes, and then wiped off the excess for 2 applications about 24 hours apart using paper towels. Oil was absorbed both applications, and a third could be done. The pictures were taken about 3 hours after the second application and surface is essentially oil free. I did see my original container at the health food store last week at about $11 for quart, but then there was a larger container for only $10 so it is fairly inexpensive compared to some other finishes.

Some Mesquite finished bark edge pieces were shown at SWAT that were sanded to 600+ that had only one coat of oil but they would not be used for food and I would think that more coats would be needed for wet service.