Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13" Planer

The Ridgid comes with a DC hood that will connect to either a 2.5" or 4" hose -- does the DeWalt come with a DC hood?

Cool! That changes the math a little. Some of the information that I came across on the web talked about the need to buy that seperately. Ridgid tweaks the extra stuff that comes in their boxes, every once in a while. I assume that they used to NOT include the DC hood, and now do.

And yes, the Dewalt DW735 DOES come with a DC hood. Actually, even cooler then that - the chip ejection port on the DW735 is fan assisted, which means it actually has something in there actively ejecting the chips. That's a feature which, as far as I am aware and as far as the 13" benchtop models are concerned, is unique on the DW735.

Reviews had really good things to say about that feature, as well.

Does the DeWalt's estimated $645 total price include a mobile base?

Yep. See my next post for more details.

The presumed less time sanding is something I have to question. Granted I haven't had mine long and have only planed some pine during setup and mahogany after that, nonetheless I cannot imagine any desire to get the wood surface smoother out of the planer unless the goal was to forego sanding completely.

That is a useful piece of information. Some of the info I found read talked about "a little bit of sanding or scraping" that was required when using the Ridgid planer. Of course, perhaps those folks were talking more off at a time or something.

It's just me, but my budget seems to be a LOT like yours and I'd be thinking TP1300 AND the drill press with money left over for wood instead of the DeWalt 735.

Your probably right, concerning budget. I have a nice bonus coming in late this week / early next week. With that I am going to get the tools and a pile of wood for building a dining table and chair set for my wife.

I'll have to think about it some more. the $240 - $250 or so is also enough, possibly, to get a beginner level router - somewhere along the 1.75 - 2.?? HP motor.

I'll have to think about it some more now - darn you!
    Paul Thompson, Ardmore OK

Talking Decision Spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bersch
    Paul Thompson, thanks for that detailed post - I learned two things: one, some solid and useful advice about my next tool purchase and two, there is someone else out there that is as anal as I am about tool purchases! I am not sure if it is a gift or a curse. Oh, by the way, can you post your decision spread sheet for me?
    How funny - I never mentioned that I created a spreadsheet. How EVER did you know that I made one?

Well, of course, I did. It might be a little more limited then you were hoping for, but here is a quick overview. Email me and I would be glad to send you the original spreadsheet. Same goes for anyone else, though it's not much more interesting then what is available below.

Dewalt DW735 - Planer Cost

Thickness Planer    = $ 499.00
      Mobile Planer Stand = $  99.99
      Folding Tables      = $  44.99
      Total for DW735     = $ 643.98

Follow this link to see pics someone posted to Amazon of the stand they made for their DW735. Amusing is that they posted them as "customer pics" for the Dewalt manufactured stand for the DW735.

Ridgid TS1300LS - Planer Cost

Thickness Planer       = $ 349.00
      Planer Stand           = $   0.00 (included)
      Folding Tables         = $   0.00 (included)
      Mobility (Herc-U-Lift) = $  79.00 *
      Total for TS1300LS     = $ 428.00

* I could not find a direct price for the Herc-U-Lift caster system. However, I found people in the Ridgid forums who claim to have got it for $49 from Home Depot. I would swear that when I got the same caster system for my Ridgid bandsaw, that it cost more like $79. I'd guess that the $49 might have been a discount, though it's also possible that they've simply brought the price down.

Based on these numbers, you'll end up paying 215.98 MORE for the dewalt planer "package" then the Ridgid planer "package".

Now, please keep in mind that there are plenty of ways to save a little money on all of this.

• Amazon.com, if you buy the Dewalt through them, I believe has deal something like "spend $199 on tools, save $35". You'd have to check around.
    • Amazon.com - shipping would be free. And I am not sure, but you may not pay sales tax, which could save you a nice little chunk, at least.
    • Home Depot / Lowes - there are various ways to get 10% off coupons from HD, Lowes, as well as Woodcraft and other stores. This ranges from Moving coupons, random stuff they send in the mail, etc.
    Again, more rambling. Hope it helped.
    Last edited by Paul Thompson; 02-23-2005 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Fixing Formatting

Paul,

Had you considered the Delta 22-580? Obviously you did your homework, but was wondering why it was excluded from your short list. I read a magizine (can't recall which one just now) review from last fall that had the DeWalt 735 outperforming the Delta 22-580, but only slightly; such that it was not significant enough to spend the extra $150 and recommended the Delta as a better value.

- John

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by John Hulett
    Had you considered the Delta 22-580? Obviously you did your homework, but was wondering why it was excluded from your short list. I read a magizine (can't recall which one just now) review from last fall that had the DeWalt 735 outperforming the Delta 22-580, but only slightly; such that it was not significant enough to spend the extra $150 and recommended the Delta as a better value.

- John
    You know what - good stinking question. Honestly, for some reason, I have somewhat of a bias against Delta tools. The more I think, however, I guess that's totally silly and I don't have a real reason there.

I'll have to read up on this a bit. The price on Amazon for the Delta 22-580 is great at $349. Plus $24.99 for the dust connector, then minus $25 with the current amazon tools deal ($25 off purchases of $199 and up), that makes the final price $348.98.

Now THAT's a darn good price. And shipping is free. The question is, will I pay tax?

I do have a 10% off coupon for woodcraft, I think, but their price is higher - $419 base price for the planer. Anyone know if Woodcraft will price match with Amazon?

Then there's the Home Depot Price of $377. Again, I think I can swing 10% off. If they have the dust connector for $24.99, that would make the total there (before TAX) come to $361 something.

Hmmnn, still more expensive then Amazon. Interesting.

Apparently, everyone should ignore me. The Delta sounds like a great deal. (Here goes me reconsidering this for a couple of more days....)

Don't rule out the Dewalt 734 (comes with hood / no stand or extra knives). There may still be the $50 mail in rebate available - check Dewalts site. I picked one up when Lowe's had the 20% off X-mas promotion (plus 10% off for opening an account). Then there was the $50 mail in rebate. Lowe's retail price is $357 for the 734. With all said discounts mine was $207.

Paul Thompson, Obviously you made a spreadsheet - I saw too much of me in you.

Anyway, all of this info is a big help to me so I will just sit back and watch some more.
    Semper Fi

After doing my reasearch, I chose to buy the Rigid. I came to pretty much the same conclusions that were already stated. Anyway, I went to Home D, and wheeled the Rigid up to the checkout... And didn't have my wallet... So, I'll buy it another day... In the meantime, I scored the Delta 22-580 for a steal ($229-$20 card-$30 rebate = $179!). I love the Delta 13" planer.

To sum it up, I don't think you'd go wrong with either the DeWalt 735, Rigid 1300, or the Delta 22-580. They all get favorable reviews.... Pick your color...
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Had a Dewalt 12" and sold it becausue I got a tremedous buy on the DeWalt 735 (gloating I am)

Lowes had it on sale for 20 percent off the $499 list so I went to Home Depot and they let me have the planer on the basis of their "match and beat" plan. So they matched Lowes price and knocked another 10 percent off.

I too was warned about the sprocket on the 735 and called DeWalt and was told that was in the first production models --well into last year--and since then has been corrected. Have had no problems with mine and am very satisfied with the performance.

If you can wait 10 months for it I'm sure the 20% off holiday sale will return again...

Besides that, my suggestion would be to see what the best deal is that you can get out of the 'top 3' of the Ridgid, Delta, and DeWalt 735 (could also include the 734). I imagine whichever you get you will be very pleased with it and not envy another model -- and this is why I recommend the one for the lowest price... I'm not sure about the potential hassle of returning merchandise to Amazon, though I've heard their CS is great. But I do know that the Ridgid comes with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. Additionally, I'm pretty sure HD offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee on other brands of tools.

~ Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gartin
    Which 13" Planer should I buy for $500 or less?
    Ken,

I personally have the Delta 22-580, which I got from Lowe's not long ago. I really enjoy the planer and it does everything I need it to do.

Delta's documenation on the planer could be better though. I've learned much more here at the Creek about using it than I did from the manual.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

I wonder what the consensus of the 735 owners is now after having sung such high praises for a tool with which they had no experience.

I am thoroughly dissatisfied. I bought mine in mid 2004 and literally, the FIRST board I ran through it (on a remodel job no less) and the sprocket broke.
    No problem, things happen. Unfortunately, it was not a false start. I have had nothoing but blade problems.
    I noticed one of the posters in this thread mentioned that (paraphrased) "half have had blade problems BUT half have not.." so the half that have not had problems somehow cancel out those that have had problems, so the score is even. this is the kind of logic they use in D.C. and part of the reason our conutry is going the way of Rome. But tha's another issue.
    I also doubt that operator error can be flippantly assigned to the large number who are having blade issues as the reason the blades are prematuriely dulling.

I am curious to see how hindsight stacks up against what I detected as blind, brand loyalty.
    Can't complain about a thing!

12. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Thompson
    * I could not find a direct price for the Herc-U-Lift caster system. However, I found people in the Ridgid forums who claim to have got it for $49 from Home Depot. I would swear that when I got the same caster system for my Ridgid bandsaw, that it cost more like $79. I'd guess that the $49 might have been a discount, though it's also possible that they've simply brought the price down.
    If you can find a Herc-U-Lift it should be well under $15 at this point. The problem is that you will not likely find one as they were discontinued a few months ago and have been on clearance since then. You a likely going to have to go to a HTC 2000 or something like that (still around your $50 price point).

13. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Thompson
    Now, other big difference is price. The Dewalt Planer itself will run $499. And that does not include a stand, as the Ridgid planer does, or infeed / outfeed tables. Since I would consider those required, the added price comes to around $645.
    Why not go with the 15" Yorkcraft from Wilke @$699?

Rigid - based on price and reviews

I bought a 10% off coupon on ebay brought the price to $314 on legs with an extra set of reversable blades. Register on line and you get 90 no question return to store, 3 year warrantee and life time service agreement. How can you go wrong for a planner that lots of people rate as the "best 13" planner".

The DeWalt has some kind of known mechnical/gear problem and you have to buy the in/out feed tables, plus build a stand/bench. You are into 2x the cost, is it two time better? hard to imagine.
    Busy scanning the "honey do" list for tool buying opportunities.

Wood Magazine issue 173 rated the Dewalt 735 as top tool and the Ridgid tp1300ls as top value. I have the Ridgid model and love it. Changing the knives is very easy on this model.