Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Maple HF (WIP) Updated

Tiger Maple HF (WIP) Updated

The Treasury Department (Mrs Davey), saw a small commercial HF with pedestal and finial at her friends house, and wanted one like it. After looking at it, it was the worst piece of work I've ever seen, and if any of you tell her that I'll swear I never said it. I finished the HF for her today with out blowing it out. This is the first side grain HF I've tried and had a heck of a time with tear out. It is 4.5" tall by 4" wide and finished with CA, now on to the pedestal.

Tiger Maple HF.jpg

It developed two cracks 180 degrees out across the grain so couldn't use my vacuum chuck to finish the bottom, so made this thingy to do that. The length reaches the bottom and I built up the appropriate spot with tape to friction fit the opening, which is 3/4".

HF Adapter.jpg

I'll post progress pics here. Comments and Criticism appreciated
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 09-05-2011 at 9:26 PM.

Very nice Nate, I love the tiny foot on this!! I tried something similar recently, but it is so long that without a steady rest there is to much whip it in to turn, need to grab a SR soon.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Really nice form and finish Nate.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Made a pedestal tonight out of Holly dyed black and sprayed with rattle can lacquer. It's a variation on the original. Would love some of your thoughts on it.

Tiger Maple HF w Ped.jpg

I think it turned out great, Nate! The main form is really sweet! I might prefer it without the pedestal, but it's lovely either way!

Thanks for the advise Doc. The pedestal isn't glued on yet and I need to make a finial so will take a couple pics with the different combos.

I like the shape, I think it's too tall for the HF. From the ruler, looks to be about a 1/4 of the hollow form. Remember the rule of thirds. (Like I follow my own advice.)
    Dislocated New Mexican.
    Critiques always welcome.

Mulino, Oregon, US (thirty miles South of Portland)
    Blog Entries
    Kathleen_Duncan_2.jpgBeautiful form and pedestal but I think if you put little arms on it that reach up halfway to the bowl it would be better. I don't know how to describe it and I can't find a picture to show you what I mean Argh! Like a little cradle of three black arms that reaches up to the middle of the piece.
    Beautiful piece though.

Sorta like this only curvy.
    Last edited by Betty Fox; 09-05-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Add photo.
    There's nothing like a smooth running day in the shop.........at least at my house.

From your first photo I thought you were nuts to put that on a pedestal. However I like it based on the second photo. If that is similar to what your wife saw and she is happy with it then it couldn't be better.

Very nice HF Nate. Not sure I care for the top bead on the pedestal. Seems to interrupt the flow up the form for me.

Nate - I like the shape on this one - but feel it would look best as a stand-alone form. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with as a final piece!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

the grain orientation gives this a different look. I like it.

Tiger Maple HF (Interim Final)

Here are the three variations I can think of for this. Haven't showed Mrs. D. yet, thats Davey. Would be interested in your thoughts. I know if I don't use the pedestal I will need a taller finial....I think. Not real happy with the finial, that is my 4th attempt. The issue I have right now with the no pedestal option is the base is so tiny I'll need to put something in it to keep it from tipping over when the A/C kicks on. For those of you wondering "I wonder if that HF can bounce off a concrete floor and stay together?" the answer is yes. About gave me a heart attack. Thanks for looking.

Tiger Maple HF Multi.jpg

Looks great on the pedestal. But one way or the other, a taller finial! Sweet looking piece...
    David DeCristoforo

15. I like your second pedestal..........that is a very nice work Nate! Now you are cookin' with gas!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!