Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Additive for Chain Saws

Fuel Additive for Chain Saws

For several years I have had some problems with my chainsaws. I have trouble starting them, keeping them running, lack of power, etc., etc.. I had done some web serfing and found some folks complaining about the ethanol added to fuel as being a source of the problem. Chain saw users seem to complain more often about this than most other 2 cycle engin users. About 4-5 months ago, on a whim, I bought some "Star brite STAR*TRON Enzyme Fuel Treatment". I finally had a chance to use it this weekend. I used it in my Jonsered, and my EFCO chain saws. The Jonsered is a small, light model (2150 Turbo) and the EFCO is a much larger model I use in the Alaskan Mk III mill. Both started more easily, and stayed running at idle. The gas/oil/enzyme additive mixture is no longer blue (50:1 gasil) but rather an amber color, darker than straight gas. I cannot speak for whether it adds/detracts from the longevity of the engine, but it certainly makes life easier with less effort and safer for me, particularly when using the big EFCO in the mill. I have not used it in the Stihl which is a good chain saw, but significantly heavier than the Jonsered without any added power.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff or any other fuel additive in their 2 cycle engines?

BTW: I am a loyal listener of the CARTALK guys and their frequent musings on "Miracle Stuff in Bottle" additives.
    ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW. SYOB. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

John I will say that Star Tron is a regular additive in my tractor and boat engines as the ethanol is killing them. You may also want to look at using the blue stab-bil. It is a much better formula for the ethanol, than the red kind. I typically try to use both in the gas and have had less problems since I started using them. We all need a miracle in a bottle right now with the ethanol in the gas. I heard they are trying to go from 10% up to 20% and that will probably just about kill all 2 cycle engines....I do know some people who buy their gas from the airport for running chainsaws and smaller 2-cycle engines they have at the house. For the amount of fuel they use it is worth the premium they pay at the airport for 'real' gas with no ethanol.

I've always (well for the 11 years I've been a homeowner) used the red Stabil in the gas that goes into my cans and generator. Supposedly the Stihl 2 cycle oil has it so I haven't been using it there. I've also been using Seafoam the last couple years. But my chain saw, power washer, etc I drain as much gas as I can by dumping or siphoning and then run them until they stall, then try to restart a few times as recommended by the Stihl dealer. On the other hand, my generator stays gassed up ready to go and it always starts on 1 to 2 pulls.* Same with our Kawasaki Mule utility vehicle except that's electric start.

This past spring I had a lot of trouble getting my Echo blower to start--a spark plug change cleared that right up.

* 1 to 2 pulls after I remember to turn on the "on/off" switch!
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 09-05-2011 at 7:02 PM.

I have been using some sort of fuel stabilizer in all our small engines and it has made all of them more reliable. I left gas in my Husqvarna chain saw for two years with fuel stabilizer. It started right up and ran fine, but boy did the old gas stink!!!

AZCRAIG

+1 on Star Tron. You can also use the blue Stabil. The red stuff, although better than nothing, cannot protect small engine parts (hoses, gaskets, etc.) from the damages of the current gasoline which contains higher amounts of ethanol. Its main purpose is prolonging gas life, not protection from ethanol.

One thing to note on small engines (chain saws, weed whackers): when not in regular use you should empty the tank and run it dry. Many manufacturers will now void the warranty if old gas is used or if gas is stored for too long in the tank. Yes, they can find out.

6. I use the red Stabil, but I also use ethanol free gas, there are quite a few gas stations around my house that advertise ethanol free gas. In fact I would recommend not to use E10 in any small engines, those carb's can clog up really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by William Burgess View Post
    I use the red Stabil, but I also use ethanol free gas, there are quite a few gas stations around my house that advertise ethanol free gas. In fact I would recommend not to use E10 in any small engines, those carb's can clog up really quickly.
    Pardon me. And I'm being inquistive not adversarial, just try to learn, but what does E10 have to do with clogging a carb?

For how long have you had the problem with the poor idle on the saws?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Pardon me. And I'm being inquistive not adversarial, just try to learn, but what does E10 have to do with clogging a carb?
    Anthony,
    From what I understand, the ethanol in E10 if left to sit too long in a small engine can clog up the carburetor causing engine problems. Which is why people recommend the Star Tron to prevent that sort of damage.

William

Dealers are starting to recommend using a pre mix of gas and oil.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/spi...sm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Sears, Lowes, Stihl dealers O'rileys auto parts sells a mix. Runs $4.99 to $8.99 (dealer) a qt.

I know people like Stihl equipment but that is the only brand I have fuel problems with. I use the same gas oil mix in all my equipment. Echo Ryobi, Homelite. Only have problems with my Stihl. Stihl is the only brand equipment I ever have to take to the shop.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-05-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

$20-$32 a gallon--makes pump prices seem like a bargain

At prices like those, no wonder dealer's are recommending those products!

JT

I just had my generator services as the carb was shot. They told me that the ethenol in gas was the culprit and I needed to use an additive and start the generator once a month to avoid this problem. She said if I didn't I would need to drain the tank but if I did both of those things the gas could stay in the tank for a year or more.... I/ll try it since new carbs are expensive .

The $4.99 can of premixed fuel at O'Reily is 12oz by the way. Also, the stuff in the Sears link is 40:1 while the O'Reily stuff is 50:1 which is what Stihl and Echo use IIRC.

Dave, I never had to take my Homelite blower to the shop--it only lasted 20 minutes before the blower wheel shed it's vanes so I returned it and bought the Echo. I've shied away since. Though I did buy an electric pole saw that seems decent.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 09-06-2011 at 7:35 AM.

What baffles me, is why I don't have a single problem; before or after the change to ethanol. I do use stabil in the equipment that is less used (generator, weed trimmer, rototiller) and to winterize the summer equipment (lawn tractor, log splitter). The chainsaw gets emptied and run dry due to the gas-gas-oil mix I use (racing fuel and racing oil mix at 16:1 cut with regular unleaded to achieve 20:1 mix, the oil will settled out and is very hard to shake up fuel in a chainsaw tank). I also buy gas 10 gallons at a time and have it on hand for months. I just refilled the cans that I've had since March.