Thread: Pallet Jack/Truck size for machine mobility?

Pallet Jack/Truck size for machine mobility?

I've seen a lot of folks using pallet jacks/trucks for machine mobility which seems like a reasonable idea, but I haven't seen a whole lot of suggestions for recommended size/models. Personally I'm interested in jacks for some hammer (b3/a331) equipment, but it seems that it might be useful to open it up for a more general response as my requirements aren't that extreme comparatively. What I've gathered so far:
    - low profile ~75mm or less is desirable.
    - narrow is usually/sometimes good depending on the machine.
    - I've seen a few people recommend the grizzly H6287 Mini Pallet Jack 1,000lb or an unspecified jet model (guessing the 5k lb 16x36 or 20.5x26 mini jacks). I'm leaning towards the latter because of the extra weight capability (its about $80 more) and I think? the 20" is about the right width for the hammers, I don't need the extra 4k lb capability today but who knows what tomorrow will bring

So my question is:
    - what jack (or jack size/specs) are you using and what machines are you/have you moved with it?

Thanks!

Is the equipment going to move a lot, or is this just a one-time move? If the Hammer stuff is going to move a lot, are you planning on having the equipment live on top of the jack? That adds a lot of height. There are other mobility solutions that rest the Hammer stuff on the floor after it moves.

Look on Craigs list, people sell them all the time. That is were I got mine for $100.00 ....
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Just make sure the hydraulic mechanism works well so you can feather down gently. A poor jack will drop the machine too quickly and pretty soon your settings will be off. Hammers are good machines but won't stand jarring very often. Dave

Buy used if you can--as noted above, they show up on CL frequently for $100 or so. Go with short forks--36" if you can find one. My jack as 60" forks, and they really get in the way. 1,000 lb capacity is very light--5,000 is pretty standard, but my 3,000 lb jack has done everything I've asked easily.

Kirk

You can rent it for about $ 30 a day.I bought mine at Menards for $200.
    Jaromir