Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Leaf Maple Burl Amphora

I LOVE this one, it will get one of my votes on the first run through, GOOD LUCK!
    Change One Thing

Beautiful vase Rick
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Thanks y'all!

Maybe someone has an idea that can help me. When I place these in my donut chuck, they are so thin, that almost even the very lightest touch when cutting the tenon will cause the form to flex ever so slightly which throws it off. (Which what happened with this piece, Even with the tailstock engaged in the bottom of the workpiece. At this point I'm not sure if I have any other option other than parting off the workpiece and hand carving the bottoms. I would rather have another option but for some reason my brain hasn't figured out a solution yet. Any advice or hints are appreciated
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I figured I would show a pic of how I center the piece in the donut chuck and fasten it down. This has made getting it dead center very easy, now If I can figure out a way to keep it from flexing while it's there

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

What a fantastic piece Rick....man you must have had to be careful not to crush the rim in the donut chuck, awesome job on this as always!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Sweeeeeeet!!!
    I turn, therefore I am

I don't know why but I really like this.....
    David DeCristoforo

It's a really cool form, my proportions are very different from yours, yet it strangely still works... I still like yours better

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I don't know why but I really like this.....

That's a beauty Rick! A great piece of wood too!
    On turning the bottom, I sometimes use a jam chuck. For a hf like that, I would turn a spindle a little longer than the piece is tall. I would turn the diameter just a hair under the diameter of the entry hole. All of the support would be at the bottom with the tailstock, the rim of the piece doesn't touch anything. The pressure from the tailstock should self center the piece. Turn the bottom except for where the live center contacts the piece, this will leave a very small nub that can be carved off off the lathe.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks Kathy, I will give that a go on the next one