Thread: Which chuck

Which chuck

Hello everyone;

I new to turning and new to this forum.

I recently bought a Jet VS midi lathe at a local woodworking show. I've been playing and practicing for a couple of weeks. I knew that I would need a chuck at the time of purchase but didn't have any idea as to which to buy.

My immediate need is to turn some drawer pulls, but will probably try some bowl small turning later.

I been looking at this new chuck from Nova

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...Midi_Chuck.htm

Does anyone have any experience with the chuck or suggestions/recommendations for other chucks in the $100 to $150 price range.

Thanks for any help.

I have that chuck on my Jet Mini. It accepts the all the different Nova jaws so if you get different Nova chuck in the future, you don't have to buy different jaws. So far I have been happy with it, but if finances had permitted I would have gotten a full size chuck that did not use two tommy bars...they make me feel a little spastic!
    Last edited by Carole Valentine; 02-23-2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: PS

I also started with a smaller chuck and felt constrained by it almost immediately. I have since migrated to the Oneway Talon and like it a lot.
    I ahve a review of it at the link below with more on the features.
    It does cost more than you mention but I think it it worthwhile to get into a chuck that will last a long time and let you grow without having to replace it.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/onwytlonrvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I have a Nova on my full size lathe and have been very happy with it.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Hi Mike -

First, welcome to the Creek! A friendly place to hang out and exchange ideas. Glad to have you.

The Oneway Talon chuck will give you plenty of options and capability. Should you ever get another lathe, the insert/adapter can be changed to fit the threads on the new headstock. It is easy to tighten with one hand using the chuck key.

Welcome,
    Ted

Mike, I have the same lathe you do and went through the same investigation when choosing a chuck. I opted for a Oneway Talon over the Nova, mainly because of the key instead of the tommy bars. The Talon costs more, but the convenience is well worth the difference in price. I tried a chuck with tommy bars and it was a hassle to use. The Talon is an excellent chuck and I have absolutely no complaints about it, in fact, all I can do is praise it.

keith
    Last edited by keith zimmerman; 02-23-2005 at 1:11 PM.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Mike,
    Ditto what Keith said. I have the #1 jaws and the mini-jumbo jaws as well. I'm extremely satisfied with it.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

I have the Penn State Industries CUG-4 Utility chuck that uses the Tommy Bars for adjustment and so far, I like it. The Tommy Bars can be a bit of a pain, but for $80.00 I got the #1 Jaws, #2 Jaws, the screw center and the Jumbo Flat Jaws. I am very happy, now with the chuck.

I had to wait forever and go through a few spindle adapters to get it to run true, so if I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the Nove Midi from Woodcraft - even though it only came with 1 set of jaws and the screw adapter
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt