Thread: Burning eyes with CA and BLO

Burning eyes with CA and BLO

I watched a youtube (someone posted on another post a few days ago) about using BLO and CA - I tried it an really like the process and the results. One major drawback: after applying the blo/CA and spinning at high RPMs for 10-15 seconds you get a very pungent odor and then burning, watery eyes. I put on my respirator and got rid of the odor but still get the burning eyes. The odor and burning sensation lasts about 10-15 seconds. Does anyone know what this is? Has anyone else experienced this? It is a simple process and as I said the results are great but I'm not sure I want to keep doing this.

During the polymerization of cyanoacrylate (exothermic reaction), CA monomer is released as a gas. This monomer causes the burning and odor......not toxic.......just very irritating.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

I had the exact same problem. I stopped using BLO/CA as a finish because of this. I don't turn many pens anymore, but when I do I use Enduro polyurethane.

Paul

I always have a fan blowing sideways across my work when using CA - that does a great job of keeping the fumes away from my face.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

You'll typically find that reaction on the applicator, not usually the pen or other piece. I use a small metal trash can by the outside door to the shop and as soon as I finish applying CA, the papertowel is in the can...literally a few seconds.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Busey View Post
    I always have a fan blowing sideways across my work when using CA - that does a great job of keeping the fumes away from my face.
    I do just what Steve says...the little cheap clip on lights from Walmart are perfect for keeping that stuff away from face, as well as other irritants from dusting/pyro work. Ideally...point towards an open window with it's own fan exhausting out.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I also use a fan blowing from behind me. Keeps the fumes away.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks to you all - Looks like a fan it is!

Have you ever tried just a CA finish (without the BLO)?? It's a very high gloss and without the tears.

I use blue paper towel pieces to apply CA (don't think there is an irritant issue with BLO) and the piece actually emits smoke. Fearing a potential fire, I always toss the towel piece onto the concrete floor, to be gathered later. Is there a potential burning issue or is the smoke a chemical reaction only not associated with high temperaure (the paper does get hot though) i.e.,am I overreacting? My dust collector removes the fumes, which otherwise are extremely irritating. I apply the BLO only to accentuate any figure but it darkens the wood. CA only seems to be best to maintain a lighter shade.