Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best dvd for dovetails

I'll throw in my 2cents worth. I have all of Rob Cosman's dovetailing videos and yes they are very detailed and I learned a great deal. What I would suggest is his new online school. I have learned even more on dovetails plus many other topics. You can try it for a month for less than the cost of a video. I don't think you can beat it. And no I am not affiliated with Rob in any way. Just a very happy customer.
    Thanks...Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    I have Rob Cosman's older dovetailing videos, Hand-cut Dovetails, Advanced Hand-cut Dovetails, and Mastering the Dovetail Saw. I thought they were good. My only complaint was I didn't care for the "power tool guy"; I would have preferred that Rob talked to me (the camera) rather than that guy. Otherwise though, the camera setups and editing were well-done, bringing you in close to the action at critical steps so you can really see what he is doing. Cosman is very thorough in the videos. I have not seen the newer video but I think it would be a good choice.
    Andre,

Rob's either heard you or others have suggested this too , since in his online hand tool workshop he's talking directly to the viewer. Whole not quite as interactive as a love class, it's nearly so. Each episode is 30 minutes and you can post your questions online at any time. Rob then chooses to either answer it textually or includes it in the next 30 minute episode. With 2 coming out per week, you've got time to get your answers and implement the advice if you are building at home in parallel with his videos.

One hundred and four 30-minute episodes per year for $200/yr (or $20/mo) makes it mighty inexpensive, especially since you can go back and watch old episodes at any time if you skip a project and later want to go back and do it or remember a technique taught in a session that applies to your current work.

I started a thread some time ago asking what others thought of Rob's workshop and now, after viewing the first 15 episodes, I believe (for me) its been some of the better money I've spent in my skill-building.

YMMV.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by linke combs View Post
    Well, my 2 day class on dovetailing with Rob Cosman this weekend has been cancelled. It has been rescheduled for next year, but that is a long way off. So, I am turning to video. Which dovetailing dvd or dvds is/are best? Is Rob's new handcut dovetails 2.0 better than his older one? Does it cover both through and half-blind dovetails? I have not been able to find out by looking at any materials describing it, so I am hoping some one here can help me out. Or are there other dvds that are even better? I am on a mission to learn how to do this and was expecting the class to give me a good fundamental start.

So...I am open to suggestions...

Oh...and thanks in advance.

Linke
    While I would certainly not dissuade you from giving Rob your money (I think Rob Cosman is a great teacher, and have watched his "Rough to Ready DVD" multiple times and have learned a lot), I will tell you how I did it.

I watched Rob's 3 minute dovetail video about 20 times, and then went out and practiced. Rob is a very good teacher, and even in this demonstration (which wasn't really intended to be instructional, in my opinion) it was easy to learn the technique and process. For me, that video was sufficient, and the most important thing has simply been practice. Of course, if you are suffering on the mechanics of sawing or something, then this short video probably won't be sufficient.

As a side note, I learned how to sharpen simply from watching another of Rob's promotional videos multiple times - the one for the angle trainer. While these promo videos have prevented Rob from getting my money for these techniques, the helpfulness has secured my patronage for other endeavors (such as rough to ready and mortise and tenon joints). His teaching style is very good.

I started with Kingshott, went to Klause, went to Rob, went to the shop.
    Did them all again several times.
    Repeated until they all seemed to be good friends.
    After 20+yrs of wood working, most not involved with dovetails but they do creep in more and more.
    I've even done Taige Frid, a 15 min video which is very good add added to the enjoyment of skill learning.
    I've done the David Charlesworth precision method. Really good.
    I've concluded, there is not a "best".
    They all have contributed to a very enjoyable process.

Long have dove tails lived and long shall they remain....Buma Shave ! Hoot!

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua
    I have used the Tage Frid video - but really, you watch a lot of them, then pick which style or hybrid of styles works best for you. I lay out tails first and chop - same way as frid but doing the tails versus the pins first even though he states it is "very mickey mouse"

it is fun - take your time in the beginning - better good results over time than poor results in haste.
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    I started with Kingshott,...
    Yeah, me, too, and he's still my hero.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    While I would certainly not dissuade you from giving Rob your money (I think Rob Cosman is a great teacher, and have watched his "Rough to Ready DVD" multiple times and have learned a lot), I will tell you how I did it.

I watched Rob's 3 minute dovetail video about 20 times, and then went out and practiced. Rob is a very good teacher, and even in this demonstration (which wasn't really intended to be instructional, in my opinion) it was easy to learn the technique and process. For me, that video was sufficient, and the most important thing has simply been practice. Of course, if you are suffering on the mechanics of sawing or something, then this short video probably won't be sufficient.

As a side note, I learned how to sharpen simply from watching another of Rob's promotional videos multiple times - the one for the angle trainer. While these promo videos have prevented Rob from getting my money for these techniques, the helpfulness has secured my patronage for other endeavors (such as rough to ready and mortise and tenon joints). His teaching style is very good.
    Funny, I had the same experience - when I first was learning dovetails one of my main resources was RCs dovetail saw advertisement/demonstration. When I started learning freehand his angle trainer ad was my starting point for how to hold the blade. LOL - thought I was the only one actually putting those ads to use.

I picked up Rob's new dovetailing video today. That will give me something to practice with until the class this winter.

Thanks for all insight.

After hearing all of the good reviews of Rob's videos, I decided to pick up the Dovetail 2.0 DVD today. It's pretty good. I had been turned off by a few of the you tubes I'd seen, so I went in with a few doubts. He shares lots of good insight, from prep to tools to little tips and tricks. Between this, Jim Kingshott, and David Charlesworth, I should be set to go.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

If you are talking about hand cut dovetails and can saw and chisel within 1/64" of a line consistently you don't need a DVD. If you can't, a DVD wont help. I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kman View Post
    If you are talking about hand cut dovetails and can saw and chisel within 1/64" of a line consistently you don't need a DVD. If you can't, a DVD wont help. I can't.
    IMHO, these DVD's are great for people like me. I've never had an ounce of instruction in woodworking. I needed a few small things for my house, I found my Grampa's old planes...and it's been down hill ever since. I needed to learn about planes, and got Jim Kingshott's DVD (seriously, how could anyone not love that guy?). I've picked up a few other videos and a couple of books. Besides participating here, and reading internet articles, that's all the instruction I've had. Nothing would beat getting hands on with an expert, but you have to go with what you've got, I guess. I just practice when I can...which lately isn't as often as I'd like.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!