Thread: Getting out the big guns!

Getting out the big guns!

This is the start of a special request piece, requested by Mrs tree trimmer.
    This is the biggest piece I've turned so far. The blank is 26" long and 4" x 4". I cut the blank form an ash log that was about 10" - 12" diameter.
    I tried to get it as close to centered as I could, but it was still out of balance and when I turned the lathe on at the lowest speed (340 rpms), I thought the lathe was gonna walk off with it.
    9-6-11 03.jpg
    So I took it to the band saw and squared it up a little and put it back on the lathe. There was still a little bit of shaking, but it was doable.
    9-6-11 01.jpg
    Started off with my 12" rest but quickly decided constantly moving it from side to side was gonna drive me nuts. So I got out the big guns, a 24" double banjo rest. Much better! Started at 340 rpms, then went to about 600 once the corners were knocked off, then to 1000 after the roughing was done.
    9-6-11 02.jpg
    Got it roughed to a cylinder and started doing some shaping, turned a tenon and mounted in a chuck and set up my JN steady rest , then stopped for the night. I wrapped it up well with stretch wrap so hopefully tomorrow I will find it just as I left it (very green wood).

We'll see what tomorrow brings....
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy I hope you will post more pictures as your piece progresses. I like to watch what you post. Thanks Russell

Kathy, it will be interesting to see where you go with this! One thing you might consider on the next similar project - rive a piece of the wood (split it with the grain) to achieve the blank. Then with the piece on the lathe, or otherwise held firm, use a drawknife to take off the corners. One should be able to get a reasonably round blank in short order with green wood. Just a thought.

I have ran some big blanks like that and even some large bowl blanks thru the Planner. Just start with very, very small cuts at first. You didn't say what the end product will be??

Cool! Whatcha makin Kathy?

Bet she will hit a home run when it is finished
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Well, it didn't exactly turn out like I planned, but then I didn't really have a good plan, just a basic concept.
    Mrs Treetrimmer requested this piece to give to Mr Treetrimmer to replace the old piece he carries in his truck.

So this one will probably become a prototype and find it's way into my truck. It's 17 1/2" long and pretty hefty (no finish yet), and it feels oddly comfortable in my hands. I call it a Personal Attitude Adjustment Device, almost makes me want to go find a bad attitude to adjust .
    2011-09-07_22-06-10_273.jpg
    Let me hear your comments! What would you have done differently? Size, shape? Looking for advice on the next one.

Thanks!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

WOW, now that is a "adjuster" and a half. Some nice looking wood too.

"The best things in life are not things."

Hi Kathy,

A bit of caution, unless the adjustment device is used on the centerline of the attitude, the attitude may become skewd after the initial adjustment.

Bob Haverstock

I like it Kathy. Just tell folks it's to dispatch fish with. I know there are so many fishing places in Phoenix that it would be perfectly believable.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Mulino, Oregon, US (thirty miles South of Portland)
    Blog Entries
    How about a little less weight in the handle and a few spikes in the head? "_
    There's nothing like a smooth running day in the shop.........at least at my house.

The shape you came up with is more than adequate and the handle is shaped just right for good grip. I make a lot of fish wackers and finish them with bee's wax or a liberal application of Johnsons floor wax to minimize the checking that might occur on the ends when using green wood. Just make a variety of shapes because you never know what someone will like. A brand something on the lines of "Louisville Slugger" might be nice (maybe "Phoenix Flogger")

errrr, that's a "Tire checker" officer....
    Nice beefy...tire checker!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Now if someone gets out of line you can give them a PAADing around

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    I call it a Personal Attitude Adjustment Device, almost makes me want to go find a bad attitude to adjust .

Thanks!
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Kathy, I hope you used Ren Wax on it; you know that carnauba shows fingerprints, which could be a problem if it ever gets used.