Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of book arriving in the mail

Beware of book arriving in the mail

Today when I picked up the mail, I found a flat box that looked like a book shipping container. I hadn't ordered any books except from Amazon and they don't use this type packaging.

When I got back to the house and opened the package, it was the first volume of a set of woodworking books from Woodworker's Journal. If I wanted the book, all I had to do is to send them $9. If I didn't want the book, I could return it using the enclosed return shipping label. I had not ordered this book, or even knew of its existence.

As I recall, anything sent to you or me, without requesting it, is ours to keep. At least it used to be that way. I pondered that for a about 5 seconds, and repackaged the book and put the return label. I will go out tomorrow.

Look for the subscription prices to go up to cover the losses on this advertising campaign.
    Best Regards, Ken

I have seen reports of this on other forums. I have also read that you do NOT have to send back the book. I have done this once, with a hunting book, it was sent to me, with out my asking. It was more hassle than the book was worth! I ended up having to contact the state Attourny General to have them explain to the book company that THEY sent it to me, I do not have an obligation to send it back or pay.

Long story short, you could keep it, but Woodworkers Journal will keep hounding you and it's not worth it

If it came by US mail and you didn't request it, my understanding is that it's yours to keep without sending it back

I used to be the "Nice Guy" and sent this kind of stuff back, but I finally decided that Two could play this game. I then started just keeping whatever was sent to me, and anytime some envelope came from them, I just trashed it without even opening it. This usually went on for a while, and then stopped. After a few of these incidents, from different places, Someone must have finally put me on the "Not A Gullible Pidgeon" List, because I haven't received anything like it for over 2 years now. Guess My system worked.

My attitude is that IF I want something, I will order it, but if Anyone wants to send me something I haven't requested, I just got a Gift. I'm just not into playing their "Sucker" Games.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 02-23-2005 at 5:26 PM.

Woodsmith/Oxmoor House did the same thing to me - 4 times w/ 4 different titles! For free they're not bad books .

I too got one of these and the letter stated that I was not obligated to return it so I didn't. Gave it to my son instead.

Also received an unwanted book

I also received one. The carefully worded letter does state something to the effect that you "need not return the book because you did not order it."

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Today when I picked up the mail, I found a flat box that looked like a book shipping container. I hadn't ordered any books except from Amazon and they don't use this type packaging.

When I got back to the house and opened the package, it was the first volume of a set of woodworking books from Woodworker's Journal. If I wanted the book, all I had to do is to send them $9. If I didn't want the book, I could return it using the enclosed return shipping label. I had not ordered this book, or even knew of its existence.

As I recall, anything sent to you or me, without requesting it, is ours to keep. At least it used to be that way. I pondered that for a about 5 seconds, and repackaged the book and put the return label. I will go out tomorrow.

Look for the subscription prices to go up to cover the losses on this advertising campaign.

8. Angry

Hi Ken,

.... If you look further down the letter it states that: “There is no cost to you (not even postage) and no questions asked. Because you didn't ask for this special book, you don't have to participate or send it back and you could consider it a free gift.”

.... Well guess what guys? It was a FREE GIFT. Before I opened it, since I hadn't ordered it and it was addressed to me and there were no mistakes about it's intent, I am not about to be held captive by anyone either on the phone or through the mail or any other media. Not to mention that this kind of harassment steals your time and interrupts your day. Enough said.

.... Good luck to you all on your choice.

Boyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock

Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 02-23-2005 at 9:29 PM.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

From my memory of contract law class; your silence or inaction can Not constitute consent. Just like Chemlawn can't come spray your lawn and send you an invoice and expect you to pay.

Book? What book? I never got any book.

I'll certainly keep a free book. But, Chemlawn had better stay off my lawn.

The reality is ... after the dog gets through with her business on the lawn no one wants to go in there.
    Jeff

I got a book from them and didn't remember ordering it. Figured I was just getting senile and almost paid for it. Couldn't find any record of having ordered it so I didn't pay for it. Currently, I'm recycling all correspondence from them. Nice to know it's not just me.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be looking for my "free gift" any day now.

A few years ago Reader's Digest sent me some books I didn't order. Being aware of the US postal regulations concerning this, I figured I'd keep it. Then I started getting harrassed by requests to pay. Eventually it escalated to letters from a collection agency and finally a law firm. I suspect these are actually made up by RD.

The letter from the law office was the final straw. I sent RD a letter indicating that I didn't appreciate their tactics and that I would consider any mail or phone calls from them or their agents harrassment and would take legal action against them. I also made them aware that I would send copies of the letter to my state's attorney general and to the BBB. Never a word--not even another advertisement.

I suspect you sometimes have to muscle these people back since they are hoping you'll cave in. I can't imagine they'd find it worth it to take actual legal action.

These days, however, I expect I'd send the book back since I rarely see anything new in them, I don't have enough libray space, I gas fireplace and the paper's no good in the two-holer.

I sent it back

While I agree with you alls comments.. it is your book to keep. It was not really worth keeping in my estimation.. I peeled the sticker put it on the box resealed all of the contents they sent with it; thebook, the junk mail, the envelope off the front of the box.. If I had any other junk mail from other companies I would have enclosed that. Put it by the mailbox in front of house and it went away. I share your frustrations with unsolicited mailings like this but it is hardly worth the investment of time playing games with them..
    unless you enjoy that kind of thing
    chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Unsolicited Book & Other Mail

Dave Ramsey (gives great financial advice on the radio) has a great suggestion for all that unsolicited mail from credit card companies.
    Stuff as much junk mail (nothing with your address on it) as you can into their postage paid envelope and drop it into the mailbox. They'll have to pay the postage for you to send them junk mail.

Personally, I think you should attach their postage paid envelope to a brick and drop the postage paid brick in the mail. No telling what this will cost them in postage.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-25-2005 at 5:55 AM. Reason: removed signature line - contained a political statement

Yes, I received this book and I was very displeased that I did. I was quite resentful that I had to take the time to package the book back up and return it. I included a note voicing my displeasure. I know that I could have kept the book but other "offers" are sure to follow. Bad idea FWW...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.