Thread: Easiest way to move Grizzly 12" jointer?

Easiest way to move Grizzly 12" jointer?

Recently purchased the G0609X and want to be able to move it in a straight line approx 24". Any suggestions? Not sure that a "mobile base" solution would be the best for stability plus the unit weighs about 1,000 lbs, would prefer to use ball bearing units in a track set into the floor so that it is always stable, can easily be locked into position, etc. Look forward to your comments.

B3 002.jpgHammer Photo 006.jpg

Hi, a semi-live skid design will do exactly what you want for a light weight such as 1,000 pounds.

I've included a photo of my B3 saw/shaper with the ball bearing wheels and the lifting bracket on the front, as well as my tow bar being used on my jointer/planer.

Th front of both machines have levelling feet which imobolise the machine when it's set down.

It's easy to make and only raises the height of the machine about 1/2 inch or less.

Regards, Rod.

I moved my 16" jointer about 65 feet using several pieces of 1/2" black pipe. The pipe only works if the bottom of the stand is even. My jointer weighs around 1700 lbs, I moved it myself.
    I jacked up one end to get a couple of pieces of pipe under it. I then laid out several pieces of pipe spaced out in front of it. I started pushing, as the jointer rolled off the pipe in the back, I moved the pipe back to the front.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I want to move the jointer from being close to a wall out approx 24" on occasion when I need to work on lumber longer than 10' so I can use a hallway for extra length, this will be a regular occurrence.

Engine hoist. Fold it up and put it aside when not in use. I've got one in my shop.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Hi, a semi-live skid design will do exactly what you want for a light weight such as 1,000 pounds.

It's easy to make and only raises the height of the machine about 1/2 inch or less.

Regards, Rod.

That looks like the "ticket"
    Carpe Lignum

i have the shopfox version and just put it on some great lakes casters

I've got an older Tiawanese Griz, and use home depot casters. Works OK.

I use a HTC Heavy duty mobile base on my DJ30 12" jointer. They easily move 1000 lbs. Also have one on my DC580 20" planer.

Here is a pic when my jointer was new.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Yup, mobile base just like the others said. I've pushed a big A$$ Buss planer, which weight a couple thousand lbs more than your jointer, with one hand on a mobile base. Anything with ball bearings in or on the floor of a woodworking shop sounds like a bad idea to me.

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

I've included a photo of my B3 saw/shaper with the ball bearing wheels and the lifting bracket on the front, as well as my tow bar being used on my jointer/planer.

Th front of both machines have levelling feet which imobolise the machine when it's set down.

Regards, Rod.
    I made a home made version for a Jet J/P. I thought about casters but wasn't crazy about moving the machine by pushing & pulling on the tables. I figured they were designed to bear weight, less to resist horizontal loads. Unless you have quite a bit of room in your hallway, you may not have much choice but to put casters directly on the machine. Something else to think about if you haven't. I seldom need pieces longer than 5-6 feet. If I'm starting with a longer rough board, I'll cut it to rough length first then face and edge joint it. The shorter boards are easier to handle and there's less material removed/less waste.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-11-2011 at 8:18 AM.

Patrick, I have the G0609X and moved it to it's final resting place by rolling it on 4 lengths of 3/4 black pipe (disassembled some of my pipe clamps) it also helps to have a helper. Sounds crude but worked perfectly.Oobviously this is not a solution if you want to move the machine regularly.