Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchcrafted Moxon Vise Builds

Benchcrafted Moxon Vise Builds

Hello,

I have a Benchcrafted Moxon Vise(hardware only) on the way to me. I have a couple of different ideas about how I'll go about designing the eventual build. Namely, I'm either going to go with a simple Moxon vise set-up, or, I might incorporate it into a bench-on bench type deal with bench dogs and everything. Anyways, I'd love to hear from any one who has recently put together the new Benchcrafted Moxon Vise. Photos would be particularly helpful

Thanks,

David

I didn't use Benchcrafted hardware, but here's a pic of my Moxon Vise showing the jaw and support block details for what it may be worth to you:

WOW! That's one of the nicest I've seen. If you don't end up using it feel free to send it to me. You've had some great posting as of late Sean! Keep'em coming.

I've been thinking along the same lines but I want to end up with two modules that cane be used independently or operate as a single integrated unit. What's holding up the process is that I'm working on different ways to make the whole thing(s) height adjustable as well.

Not a benchcrafted, but my homemade Moxon Vise...

Here is the thread if you want to see how it is set up...

Can one of these be made with low cost press screws?

Rob did (carriage bolts at least - not sure what "press screws" are):

http://www.rpwoodwork.com/blog/2011/...other-version/

Oh, you mean like veneer "press" screws! the vise doesn't function like a veneer press, but you could almost certainly rearrange the "nut" to make it work.

Sean, I love the large wooden bits that look like "acorn nuts" pierced with the handles on the end of your vice...

10. I made mine with cheap veneer press screws and they work surprisingly well. You just throw away the press part and mount the nut recessed into the back chop. It holds like the dickens. Will post pictures sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Can one of these be made with low cost press screws?
    Yes, I made one with the "press screws" from LV. They work very well. I'll post a picture to show the square washers that are recessed into the outside face of the chop so that the base of the handles of the screws don't mar the wood.

Very nice vises! Look so pretty, especially front jaw (not sure because English is not my language). Georg

Quote Originally Posted by David Wadstrup View Post
    I have a couple of different ideas about how I'll go about designing the eventual build. Namely, I'm either going to go with a simple Moxon vise set-up, or, I might incorporate it into a bench-on bench type deal with bench dogs and everything.
    I would recommend against the bench-on-a-bench idea unless you:

1) Use a router frequently for joinery. The elevated horizontal surface would be very handy for this type of operation, and for using a router to rough in inlays.

2) Want to use if for carving. Same idea - the horizontal surface that's elevated to elbow height will alleviate the sore-back issue when carving on a bench meant for joinery and planing.

On the severe downside to the bench-on-bench idea, it will be very heavy, particularly with iron hardware. In my shop, very heavy = very infrequently used.

Hi David,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been trying to figure out how much I would end up using the bench on bench. The weight will only be a small issue as I'll be storing whatever I end up building(Moxon or B-on-B) on the shelf under the bench I'm building. In other words, not a lot of traveling with it -- just one heavy lift. I'm guessing I wouldn't use it a whole lot, but I figured that the B-on-B would serve two functions -- as a regular Moxon, and as a small elevated joinery bench -- all in one fixture. But... how often would I use it??? I will never use a router, and I can't imagine that I'll do a whole lot of carving either. Would it be useful for small work, like small boxes or toys? Or would it raise my pieces too high? What do you guys use a bench on bench for?

David, I put mine together yesterday and mostly just followed the Benchcrafted drawings. I left the stabilizer full length and have found that the hold-fasts work well. If I were going to use clamps I would make it longer to extend past the jaws like Sean's and Bob's. Oh and yes, thats my beaver-killed-poplar-sawn-timbers-across-sawhorses bench. (and this is my first and only vise so far)
    2011-09-10-001.jpg2011-09-10-002.jpg2011-09-10-003.jpg2011-09-10-006.jpg