Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Finishes Wood Turners Finish

General Finishes Wood Turners Finish

Has anyone tried this new finish from General Finishes? It is water based and can be wiped on and it is being advertised as a product for woodturners.

I haven't tried it but I like the fact that it can be sanded and re-coated in minutes. For anyone interested here is a link to it http://www.generalfinishes.com/retai...turners-finish .

Sure sounds like some interesting stuff. If I can find a can I may give it a go. Like Curt like the fact you can recoat in minutes.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There is a blog post on the whisperer about this stuff... I want to try it. Any other folks try this yet?

JP

I'm attending a 2-1/2 hour seminar Thursday night at Black Forest Wood in Calgary on all their products, with focus on lathe applications. He will show this too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHt5gctLRs
    Looks interesting; I'll post comments Friday. ..

Just watched the videos and it looks impressive alright and pretty simple. I'll be waiting for your comments Jim.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-11-2011 at 8:21 AM. Reason: To remove implied inappropriate language

Hey Greg, I got 2 sample bottles from Rockler about 2 weeks ago. I used it on 2 bowls, off the lathe. It worked well, it is very thin, I poured it into the bowl then wiped it around. It took several coats but the end result was a nice finish. After the first coat you must sand the bowl, it raises the grain. I think I put on 5 coats. I would show some pictures, but the bowls were presents for a couple of my aunts. I will use it again, it seems to go on real fast. Hope this helps some. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Eaton View Post
    Hey Greg, I got 2 sample bottles from Rockler about 2 weeks ago. I used it on 2 bowls, off the lathe. It worked well, it is very thin, I poured it into the bowl then wiped it around. It took several coats but the end result was a nice finish. After the first coat you must sand the bowl, it raises the grain. I think I put on 5 coats. I would show some pictures, but the bowls were presents for a couple of my aunts. I will use it again, it seems to go on real fast. Hope this helps some. Russell
    Russell:

Do you think the finish is durable enough for everyday use like a peppermill?

Thanks for your feedback. I'll need to check my local Rockler to see if they have samples.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    Russell:

Do you think the finish is durable enough for everyday use like a peppermill?

Thanks for your feedback. I'll need to check my local Rockler to see if they have samples.

Greg
    Greg, the youtube video says that the finish has a very high resistance to chemicals and water and will last longer on hand held objects than most other finishes. I just might have to try some of this stuff for my Bic stick pens.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Hey Greg, I think it would be durable. It uses the same materials as used for finishing hardwood floors. I would only be taking a guess.

Sounds like an interesting new finish. Perked my attention. Thanks for the tip-off, I think I'll be giving it a try.

okay - just picked up a pint today at Woodcraft. I think it was $15.99 (pretty spendy for a pint of anything). I'll be giving it a shot hopefully this week. I have high hopes... we shall see. I'll post my thoughts... going to redo a piece where the poly orange peeled on me - got to sand it all off and start with my new WTF. I like that name...

JP

I haven't found it online. Can anyone help?
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I just ordered some from Woodcraft. It was $9.99 for a 8 oz bottle. I am going to give it a go. I received a e-mail from General Finishes after asking if they thought it would hold up on salad bowls, platters, plates, utility bowls, etc. They told me it would be pretty similar to their floor finish so that should give me a idea of toughness. They said it was resistant to chemicals, water, food acids, etc. They also said it wouldn't raise the grain. They also said you could apply 4 to 6 coats in a half hours time. If it doesn't work or hold up I think it would be great for peppermills, ornaments, mini-birdhouses, lidded boxes, etc. I can use my airbrush to apply. So hopefully it will be here in a day or two and can try it out.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.