Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I the only one?

Sam,

I suspect you're are referring to me as one of the "scientists".

OP question was "is he the only one?" Many have answered agreeing with him.

What would you want me to say? "Yes, he's the only one"... obviously he's not. Or did you want me to give him a dose of "science"? I only add technical or MSDS info to help others understand my reasoning.

If you and others are happy with "poly on everything" (borrowed from a friend of mine). I'm not going to pipe in and tell you otherwise. That is why I had not commented until you made your statement. If you read my tag carefully, it says it is ACTUALLY A PROCCESS. As Bob W. says "a learned skill". Personally and professionally I strive to use the best finish for the given project... I is my belief that poly is not the best of all, for all, in all cases and projects... I do use poly for floors and stairs. I even used it on an oak toy box for my 4 sons about 20 years ago.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

My comments are made with the experience of someone who has earned a living building cabinets and furniture for many years. I have used 5 main finishes during that time. Lacquer, poly, shellac, oil paint, and latex paint. These are basically simple, pre made finishes that can have quality results by opening a can.

Yes you can run into problems and you need to know the method to fix them. But here's my answer for that. Buy your finishes from one or two places, get to know the guy selling them to you and make sure it's a guy that knows what he's talking about (he should be the scientist).

I also believe that spraying with HVLP takes away so many of the problems created by other systems, it just seems to make the process easier.

I have also used exclusively water based finishes for about 20 years.
    Take it or leave it, I have practical experience in real world retail. French polish, while beautiful and technically challenging is not a common finish for most woodworkers because it is not profitable.

My point is this, I think most woodworkers would be happy to be able to get a good finish without too much trouble on a regular basis. I encourage all woodworkers to practice finishing because the project isn't finished until it's "finished".

I completely agree with you about the "french polish". I don't think I have ever recommended it. As a matter of fact the Woodcraft stores asked me to do a class and I told them NO. I don't like the workout it requires.

Sam you said you use water-based finishes exclusively, then you no longer use "Lacquer, poly, shellac, oil paint? Actually they're water-borne, i.e. thinned with water, not made from water. I suspect you use the approriate finish dependent on the job.

HVLP have their place; for production work, I find them a bit slow. I use an Air-Assisted Airless. Same soft, controlled spray as an HVLP, but production speed more on line with an airless paint sprayer.

I too, have "I have practical experience in real world."
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Sam,
    Good points. I too like HVLP even though it's a bit slower than A.A. As you and Scott said French polish is not common place. It is appropriate on the right piece with the right client and that, as you know, is the polar opposite of retail. Also as Scott mentioned it's quite a work out but so is the pay day. I always considered myself lucky to not be on the retail side. My hats off to you on that one.

Shellac, lacquers, and varnishes are my main stay. I just can't make myself do the water finishes yet. I know the health ramifications alone would dictate it as a good choice but the visual aspect just doesn't do it for me.

Practical experience in the real world? I too have that in spades. I'm sure we could trade war stories.

Customer: "I don't want it shiny" Two weeks after delivery with a low sheen finish "How can I polish it?"

Rusty, you aren't the only one. I know several poly finishers. They don't use this forum.

Chris Fournier: I very much enjoyed your reply.

Scott,

Yes I do use the appropriate finish for the job at hand. "Exclusively" was the wrong word because I do still use solvent based materials fairly often.

But thanks for proving my point that the "scientist" in you won't allow me to even offhandedly refer to the finish as water based. Yes I do know the difference, but most people don't, nor do they need to in order to get a fine furniture finish.

All I'm saying is that it's not as difficult as it seems. Everyone can do it!

I do wonder about the woodworkers that are on this site and others like it. Are they pros? Weekend woodworkers? Novices? I think it's important that in a forum like this that we don't exclude some because of the lauguage we use to describe our way of doing things. I learned my woodworking skills from my father in law who taught me first and foremost that there are 40 different ways to accomplish anything and none of them are wrong, just different and everyone needs to find there own way that works for them.

I hope I don't offend, it's not my intention. There is room for everyone and their ideas.