Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a W.I.P. Butcher block kitchen island.

a W.I.P. Butcher block kitchen island.

My son wants an island with an end grain top. I have been working on this 30x43 base since June. I now have started making the 5" thick end grain top.IMG_4854.JPGIMG_4851.jpgIMG_4730.jpgIMG_4650.JPGIMG_4638.JPG

making the top from 6/4 maple off cuts I got for a $100. Gluing up 30 wide x 22" section, which makes 4 pcs at just over 5" high when cut and planed. So far got 11" of top made up, got to make 4 more glue ups to get enough for 43" of top.IMG_4858-1.jpgIMG_4859.JPGI cut the glue up in half, plane, then cut again
    IMG_4860.JPG
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 09-11-2011 at 5:44 AM.

This is going to be a nice butcher block!

Thanks. So far I am two strips short. Spent 7 am till 8 pm, and now have 38" of strips I calculate the top will weigh 174 pounds. 5.8 per strip x 30IMG_4862.JPG

That's going to be a fantastic work surface. Looks great.

Have you thought about how you will flatten that? I built one of nearly similar size, and I would have saved about two weeks of time and a few tubes of icy hot if I just got it in mind to build a router sled from the beginning. If I had to flatten one again with handplanes, I would glue a sacrificial board to each end to mitigate the end-grain blow out.

Can't wait to see this finished.

Bryan, you just wanted to show off that great looking lathe. General or Grizzly? The project looks interesting. Enjoy. Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Elkins View Post
    That's going to be a fantastic work surface. Looks great.

Have you thought about how you will flatten that? I built one of nearly similar size, and I would have saved about two weeks of time and a few tubes of icy hot if I just got it in mind to build a router sled from the beginning. If I had to flatten one again with handplanes, I would glue a sacrificial board to each end to mitigate the end-grain blow out.

Can't wait to see this finished.
    At 7 am I glued up 10 slices, about 14", and during lunch break, I ran it through the planer. I ran the 3/4 radius bit over the one end to stop blowout. IMG_4865.JPGIMG_4864.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    Bryan, you just wanted to show off that great looking lathe. General or Grizzly? The project looks interesting. Enjoy. Greg
    General 260-1 VS I have had it for 16 years already.

So any tricks you care share on how to do those pommel cuts on the lathe. I think the leg design is beautiful. I always make a mess of the wood when I attempt the pommels (square to round transitions).

Once I have it ruffed out, I use the skew on it's flat to slowly smooth it up. I still get slight chipping. What I do now is make the blank 1/8" oversize or so, take a 1/16" pass on the jointer, then re turn any spots the jointer may have flattened.
    IMG_4640.JPGIMG_4641.JPGIMG_4642.JPGIMG_4643.JPGIMG_4648.JPG

What do you mean you clean it up by using the skew on its "flat"? Are you using the skew like a scraper?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra View Post
    What do you mean you clean it up by using the skew on its "flat"? Are you using the skew like a scraper?
    I don't have a scraper. A freshly sharpened skew, used very lightly to clean up the ruff surface. The ash was very hard to cut the square areas. The legs are 4& 5/8" square when I started, the corners are very large, very difficult to cut.
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 09-14-2011 at 5:27 AM.

kid want's a knife slot, added a 1/4 spacer of walnut, waiting on approval from him before I glue up the last sectionIMG_4866.JPG.

That is going to be one beautiful peice when you are finished.
    No offence but I am glad I'm not going to have to help you move it in place when your through.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Cox View Post
    That is going to be one beautiful peice when you are finished.
    No offence but I am glad I'm not going to have to help you move it in place when your through.
    Top is 175, easy for two to carry, and base is around 80 pounds. I will be using metal clips to keep the top in position.