Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Patriotism

Blog Entries

No Patriotism

i have to say that the only good thing that came out of 9/11 was that it brought America together in a very strong way but
    it didn't take but a few years for the patriotism to fade away.

i am so disappointed in so many people in this country as every year on veterans day, memorial day, July 4th and Sept 11 i
    always put out our flag on the front of our house. but when i go out on errands or whatever and i drive around town i and
    two other houses on my entire street are the only ones flying flags and as i drive around i only see the occasional flag on a
    few homes here and their.

why is it like this? are people so lazy they cant take a minute to open their front door to hang a flag to remember those who
    have fallen in the name of freedom? i just don't understand the lack of patriotism in this day and age, its very depressing!

Please don't judge the patriotism of your patriotic neighbors by the one sign of whether or not a flag is up. It is about our whole attitude about the country and our faithfulness to work for its good. Your neighbors are far better than you may think.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

3. I think what Kevin might be wondering is why are there so few outward signs or symbols of patriotism for our great country, as opposed to the past, not so long ago. For many who have served (and are serving) the USA flag stands for a lot more than it is given credit for by many of our citizens. It is a good thing to display your faith and appreciation for our country, and the lack of the tendency anymore can only leave one wondering why so few seem to be willing to display a sign of their appreciation for the country. Simply living here and having good thoughts does not convey the same emotion and intent as some sort of patriotic display, be it a flag or other sign. I hope you are right in your assertion that his neighbors (our neighbors) are far better than he (we) think. I too wonder what is happening to this nation.

Do not judge this nation using only outward signs like the flag Kevin. Patriotism is and should be more than a few simple and easily spoken words or the display of a symbol. As an example, I often do not display a flag. I feel it is inconvenient at times and I would only display the flag properly and take it in at the correct time too which is not always possible. For reference, I am a Marine combat veteran from the Vietnam War and I feel I proved my patriotism beyond a doubt by my actions, not by easily spoken phrases or by the display of a symbol. Twice I have shed my blood for this country. Patriotism is a personal thing and it means different things to each individual person just as each person expresses it in a different way.

In today's society all I ask is that on days like Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, each person interrupt their shopping, cookouts, and other activities for a few minutes and remember my friends who gave all they had. A veteran is someone who at some time in their live wrote out a blank check payable to the United State of America for any amount up to and including their life. Sadly since 1775 over 2 million of these checks have been cashed.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 09-12-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I agree with Dave. I've seen too many people who use all the outward signs but don't walk the talk. For example, why does it make you a patriot to fly the flag? What's so patriotic about that? What about helping others who are less fortunate, or getting active in organizations which will help the community? Those are patriotic acts. Flying the flag reminds me of Thomas Paine's quote about "summer soldiers" - people who do the easy things but disappear with there is some work or risk involved. If you want to be patriotic, do something that will help your fellow citizens, your community, and your country.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-11-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

well said mike those are good sentiments

I made my earlier post in haste, but it expressed my feelings. What I'd like to do here is to ask other people what they consider patriotism to be. I think we can agree that a person who volunteers to serve in the military, especially in time of war, is patriotic. But what about civilians? What, to you, are the attributes of a patriotic civilian? And why did you pick the attributes you list?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What about a guy who thinks volunteering to reenact the civil war is patriotic, but never wanted to serve in the military. Is this patriotic?

There is patriotism, and then there is nationalism.
    Patriotism, at least to me, means a deep love of liberty, freedom and the founding principles of this (once) great nation.
    Nationalism is different, although nationalist wave the flag and appear patriotic, they may care nothing for anything other than blindly supporting whatever the government and the military do.
    I am not impressed by flag flying, or stickers saying to "support our troops", or even the reciting of the pledge of allegiance.
    Thomas Paine said "It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government"
    Blindly supporting the government is not patriotism.
    Looking at government as a "fearful master and a dangerous servant", as George Washington said, is my idea of American patriotism.
    Controversial?
    Today probably, but it was the foundation of our nation.
    Dave

Well, I'll post a couple of things.

1. Voting
    2. Understanding the issues before you vote.
    3. Voting for issues which will help your country, your community and your fellow citizens, as you see it.
    4. Getting involved in your community, whether that's by running for office, helping to clean up a river, helping Habitat for Humanity build houses, or whatever you think is important.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dave toney View Post
    There is patriotism, and then there is nationalism.
    Patriotism, at least to me, means a deep love of liberty, freedom and the founding principles of this (once) great nation.
    Nationalism is different, although nationalist wave the flag and appear patriotic, they may care nothing for anything other than blindly supporting whatever the government and the military do.
    I am not impressed by flag flying, or stickers saying to "support our troops", or even the reciting of the pledge of allegiance.
    Thomas Paine said "It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government"
    Blindly supporting the government is not patriotism.

Controversial?
    Today probably, but it was the foundation of our nation.
    Dave

Looking at government as a "fearful master and a dangerous servant", as George Washington said, is my idea of American patriotism.

when George Washington made this statement , was he talking about the government before he became the president or the government after he became president ? was there any organized government before that he became president ?

Patriotism = non hypocrytic love for your country. Express it however you wish.

What rot. There's not a day...not a single day...that goes by that I don't think about 9/11. That's my own personal story. There's not a day that goes by that I don't worry about my country.

I don't fly a flag. Ever....not ever. I don't because I don't feel like I can do it justice with proper lighting. I don't feel like I can be there all the time to keep it out of the way of weather. I show my love for my country every day in real, concrete ways. I show my love with my vote. I show my love with everyday acts, like when I was layed off and was eligible for unemployment I rejected it because I didn't strictly need it, hopefully relieving some stress from my fellow citizens that would have had to pay for me. I hope I show my love with everyday acts of kindness, and also every day acts of telling people off when they're acting like complete idiots (how many of you fly your flags and then look the other way when you see wrong because you're afraid to speak up?).

My government is not my country, nor is a piece of clothe with pretty patterns on it. My country is my neighbor, and their neighbor. I would much prefer it if everyone put their flags away and instead concentrated on improving their streets, then their neighborhoods, possibly their states, and ultimately their country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Well, I'll post a couple of things.

1. Voting
    2. Understanding the issues before you vote.
    3. Voting for issues which will help your country, your community and your fellow citizens, as you see it.
    4. Getting involved in your community, whether that's by running for office, helping to clean up a river, helping Habitat for Humanity build houses, or whatever you think is important.

Mike
    Mike,

I think you pretty much nailed this one, your signature line says it well. I vote, try to understand issues that will help all people and lend the hand when needed, that is true patriotism. Driving down RT38 with two American flags out of your PU is just plain stupid with a bottle of JD in your hand. We live in the real world, lets be real.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    My government is not my country, nor is a piece of clothe with pretty patterns on it. My country is my neighbor, and their neighbor. I would much prefer it if everyone put their flags away and instead concentrated on improving their streets, then their neighborhoods, possibly their states, and ultimately their country.
    Very well said.

Mike