Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chainsaw?

chainsaw?

so the chainsaw we use for firewood went bad. it was a huskvarna 55. i need some suggestions on new saws and where to get them. we have ten acres of trees and we cut about 3-4 cords of wood a years to keep the stove going. it needs to be able to run a 20+ inch bar, and also be used for cutting blanks. any ideas on a saw that will take alot of abuse? i was thinking stihl probably, since we have gone through a couple huskvarnas in the past 10 years. i know purchasing a saw at one of the big box stores is a bad idea. but what about a place that rents and sells large equipment? or a place like tractor supply?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis, I always hear good about both Stihl (what I own) and Huskvarna with the caveat N_E_V_E_R buy from the big box. Find a dealer. I use mine only for blanks and rarely at that, but still went to a Stihl dealer to buy, and the dealer talked me down a model from what I expected to get.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Curtis, lots of threads on chainsaws. Some are worth more than others. One thing to consider is size/weight. How big of a saw do you really need? They get heavy after a couple hours of cutting.

So..if you want a big saw at a good price go to HD and look at their Makita rentals. They sell them with low hours. Makita owns Dolmar, the company that invented the chainsaw. For about $350 you can get a $700 saw that has low hours of use.

I have a Husqvarna 359 that has been bulletproof. Stihl and Hsuq are the Ford and Chevy of the saw world but there are several other top names to look for; Solo, Partner, Efco, Dolmar/Makita, Shindaiwa (some of the best commercial string trimmers made). Service is always a consideration. Find local dealers that actually service saws. Some dealers just contract with other local places for service. As Thom said, avoid big box stores; they only sell lower-end stuff.

Which ever brand you buy get a pro saw. Stihl and Husky both sell home owner quality saws and pro saws. I think it is worth the extra money for the pro saw since they are built to be used daily. Have the shop set the saw up as well. Most saws come adjusted lean to meet the new EPA standards. This can cause the saw to wear out premature. The other thing to look for is buy it from a shop that has a good reputation for working on saws. The guys at these shops tend to know how to adjust the carb on a new saw. The best place in my area for buying saws is at two hardware stores one sells Husky and the other sells stihl. They both have great mechanics and carry pro quality saws. You can get brochures and they list the home owners saws and the pro saws.
    Happy shopping,
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Mincey; 09-13-2011 at 6:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Curtis, lots of threads on chainsaws. Some are worth more than others. One thing to consider is size/weight. How big of a saw do you really need? They get heavy after a couple hours of cutting.
    at 19, with a few pounds to lose, i can deal with the extra weight and call it a work out
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Hi Curtis,

As has been mentioned you need to pick a pro-line saw if you want ease of repair and longevity. The 455 rancher is a fair saw (I've used them and I know many own them) it is not part of Husky's pro line. Those that end in xp designations are the pro models - I have a 346xp and it's bombproof.

Don't get tempted with the craigslist "deals" either, too many people poorly maintain their saws and you may end up w/ a cracked head or other very expensive repair from that 'deal'.

Also, it might be worth looking at getting a larger head w/ a small bar. That way you have the option eventually (or interchangeably) use a larger bar if the occasion calls for it. A club member has a Dolmar w/ a 24" bar I believe though it'll take a 34". This results in little to no stress on the motor and of course a chain that simply won't bog down.

g'luck!
    mike

Curtis, When I was shopping earlier this year, I found that the big box stores didn't even carry a decent saw, much less know anything about them. I have heard people say you can get a good deal buying one that the big box stores rent out, as they get good saws for that and take care of necessary maintenance. The tree guy that gives me wood advised me against buying used, though, and said to buy stihl or husqvarna. You can buy husqvarna online, but stihl only sells through dealers. I like my husqvarna, but I have never heard anyone say a bad word about a stihl. If you go to their websites, you can see pretty quickly what saws will fill your needs.

I would get a stihl and not look back.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I bought a Husqvarna 353 and its a BEAST. I opted for an 18" bar and it tears up the wood, now! There is a huge difference in the Husqvarna or Stihl the the big box stores have and the dealers. The big box ones are light light duty and will NOT hold up to real heavy use. Yeah you spend more at the dealer, but you'll get a saw that will last a very long time. Mine is not the XP model, but the dealer said the only real difference was a higher RPM limiter (XP runs faster) . I decided I didn't want to spend the premium for that and bought the 353 for about $385. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Stihl 310 Farm Boss....a bit heavy and with an aggressive chain, a real brute. If you get the aggressive chain, grab a good hold before it touches wood.

11. The Husqvarna 359 is in the pro lineup of Husky saws.........it is the same motor as the 357 XP, only tuned a little differently so the rpms are a bit higher on the 357 XP. I have had mine about 6 or 7 years with Zero issues and have cut some big trees and have cut many loads of firewood...............it is a fine saw!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The 359 is a good saw. The 357XP has a bit more power, I think a couple minor differences, but I've put some time on a 359; its a runner for sure. I have a Stihl 361; this is a pro/commercial grade saw, and is definitely $$$. I've used it hard, and it keeps running strong. It'll run you over $600, as will the 357XP. I have a couple larger saws that will cost you a lot more too; stick with the 60cc or close saws. Anything much smaller will "run" a 20" bar, but to run it well, you need around 60cc--this means the Husqvarna 357XP, 455, 359, Stihl 361, 310/311, etc. Makita and Dolmar are the same saw; made in Germany. The 6410 is a very good model, in the same ballpark as the Husqvarna and Stihl pro models. Spend the $$ on a pro level saw and you'll have it ten or fifteen years from now if you take care of it. Save the money, and you'll be buying another saw in ten years. Just my $0.02

Curtis....you have gotten some good advice here. Buy from a local dealer who sells and services chain saws. Don't buy the bottom end saw. In 1977 I bought a chain saw. I went to a local dealer in Bend, OR and told him....I didn't want a home owner's chain saw, I wanted a professional quality chain saw. He sold me a saw with a 16" bar stating I could go to a larger bar and work in the timber if I wanted. I paid a big price for it then....over $250. The company went out of business or was bought out by the competition. It's a McCoullough (sp?). If the thing would quit working, I'd buy a replacement but it just keeps on chugging along.

Buy from a local dealer who services what he sells and don't buy the bottom end, cheapest model.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    avoid big box stores; they only sell lower-end stuff.
    I picked up my Husqvarna 455 Rancher at Lowes... used a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight and got it for $320. I'd call that a steal. They also sell the next model up, but that was only online, and due to the storm I needed it now.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Try Bailey's for supplier also NPC both carry different brands will provide advice and are suppliers to the forestry trade. Only donw side on Sthil is only thier dealers can get parts.