Thread: Birthday gift - music bed

Birthday gift - music bed

I've been thinking to get a bed for my son for a while. It's quite disappointed at the furniture stores; some are even called high end custom made furniture shop, but far away from what I expected.

I started to collecting ideas after I decided to make one myself last year. During that time, whenever I see an fancy object, I would try to image it as a bed. Till one day, I went to my friend's home, his son is 7 years old and was practicing piano. What a great idea, a music bed!

I spent lots of hours in designing the bed, as I have a long commute on the train to my office every day, I have plenty of time on drawing the draft.

I finally got it done last weekend. Let's take a look.

The foot board has musical symbol (Bass Clef) on two sides and waves in between to form the frame. The panel has 5 lines music notations, violin, and trumpet.

The head board has musical symbol (Treble Clef) on two sides and waves in betwwen, the panel contains rooster, clouds, flowers and sun. The rooster stands for my son, if you ever heard chinese zodiac, that tells you which year my son was born.

The Rooster has purple heart crest, cherry body, mahogany tail, hard maple/walnut eyes.

I also put notations as decorations on the frame.

Looks from the side

There are quite bit of safety concerns during the design period, for example, the knob for the drawers. I always worry if he fall off the bed and hit the knob, so I decied to make the curve faceboard for the drawer, and people can put hand in the gap between the rail and the faceboard to open it - no knob required.

The construction is mainly dowel joint and mortise/tenon, the panels are inlay. The biggest concern when I designed the bed is how to distribute the load of mattress, as for a 5-6 years old boy, jumping on the bed is unavoidable, I worried if the head/foot board can be abused like that. The solution is to divert the load to the framing of drawers.

My son really love it.

Thanks all for viewing.

Very creative!! You made something unique in the world. No wonder your son loves it. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful design and great execution. What a wonderful treasure for your son!

So much that can be said about your bed.Cool theme great execution.My wife just walked by said she like it too.Wants me to make one for our grandson.I wouldnt know were to begin.I also like the colors of wood you chose.Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Very nice indeed. You have a very lucky son!

I think that is pretty amazing. Your work is impressive, and your creativity, even more so. Your son is lucky!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Zhi
    That is a wonderful bed. This is something that I am sure your son will pass down to his children.
    Well done.
    Gil

Thanks all the nice words, appreciate for the comments.

That looks FANTASTIC! WOW!
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post
    Wow! Very nice indeed. You have a very lucky son!
    I agree wholeheartily that it is very nice; but, I don't know how lucky the son is if he has to sleep outside on the patio!

I'm sure you made your son real proud... Thumbs up for all the thought that went into this one and then making it reality.
    Real nice job Zhi.

Zhi,
    That is a beautiful piece of furniture! The fact that you made it specially for your son makes it even better. There is a lot of creative thought that went into that piece and it shows in the execution. I really like it's " uniqueness""

Jim

Zhi,

Simply Outstanding!!!!

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Superb! Really great plan and execution.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.