Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gizmo--Day 3

The Gizmo--Day 3

OK so here is the story of the Gizmo adventure so far.....on day 1 I learned my lathe wasn't level, probably 3/8" off, as the Gizmo kept drifting away from the lathe. So, now my lathe is level. With the 5/8" bar I could go over the tool rest about 7" without much chatter, raise the tool rest up a scoosh and that cut the chatter a bit at that distance. The first practice piece I consistently got the wall thickness to between 1/16 - 1/32", that was the goal, nothing more nothing less.

On day 2, I learned how to hog wood with the Gizmo. I was really concerned about being too aggressive and getting a catch, but finally realized the regardless of where you set the cutter, you were always in a negative rake. The only catch which occasionally occurred was when I wasn't watching as closely and I would catch the back end of the cutter, kinda going backwards, uphill...if that makes any sense. Easily resolved though, just pay attention to what you are doing.

Lining the cutter up on center is a breeze. Put a drive center in the headstock spindle, bring the cutter up and set it to center height. Sooooo simple.

On day 3, working with the Gizmo is becoming a breeze. Went to a little smaller opening with a bit of a shoulder, nothing too dramatic, I will save that for day 5/6.

So far all, this is one sweetheart of a tool. I don't believe I could have made a better purchase.

I am telling you all, the tool is a real sweetheart. Any vague tinge of buyers worry on day 1 was pretty much abolished by day 2 and at the end of day3.....This is a dream tool. You are going to love it.

Now if I can post some pics....... Scott and Dave.....note the SWAT hat!

So the pics are 1) Walnut vessel for wall consistency, 2) Maple hollow form, day3, 3) The Gizmo, Steady Rest, 4) inside the maple vessel, 5) The Gizmo, Steady Rest, and Tailstock Manager or otherwise known as the JT Turning Tool Collection.

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Terry,

Very nice report on the tool. Pretty much my summation when I got to play with it at SWAT.

Alan

That is a great looking set up. I dont have a Gizmo but I just got in a Jamieson Hollower that I am excited to try but I am waiting on the back rest. Looks like the Gizmo may be the way to go when I outgrow that.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Thats cool terry. One thing that I forgot to ask Tom that you might know: Can you fit a standard cutter in the end piece of the boring bar? I liked the feel and cutting surface of the hunter style cutter they have, but am concerned about the cost of replacement of those cutters when the time comes.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Good looking tool. Looks like it works well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

A great report on a sweet looking tool! Is that some sort of bracing I see in the second link arm? I really like the Oneway style steady too. Is he also selling those now? Congrat's and keep having fun with the new hollower.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Thats cool terry. One thing that I forgot to ask Tom that you might know: Can you fit a standard cutter in the end piece of the boring bar? I liked the feel and cutting surface of the hunter style cutter they have, but am concerned about the cost of replacement of those cutters when the time comes.
    Scott,
    I asked Tom and he says you can put a 1/4" Round HSS in place or the carbide cutter.
    I also confirmed that the Gizmo takes a 3/4" bar and comes with a 5/8 adapter.
    I also ordered one (stealth gloat). He is checking if he has the parts to ship one now, otherwise it will be a few weeks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Can someone point me to a web site to find out more about The Gizmo?

Keith,

Tom doesn't have the Gizmo up on his website yet. JTTurningtools.com I expect he will soon.

Terry

Scott,

Any 5/8" or 3/4" boring bar will fit in the Gizmo. I put a straight boring bar in the Gizmo this morning with a teardrop cutter to finish the bottom. Worked perfectly.

Terry

Thanks for the info Terry and John. I am leaning towards this setup pretty heavily.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Come on in Scott.......the waters fine. Oh, what is that.....a whirlpool?

Looks like a well designed hollowing rig, Would you take a pic of the cutter head, and tooling? I'd like to take a gander at it's design. You will have to keep us well updated on how it performs for you.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    Looks like a well designed hollowing rig, Would you take a pic of the cutter head, and tooling? I'd like to take a gander at it's design. You will have to keep us well updated on how it performs for you.
    Rick,
    The cutter head is a JTTurning Tools "Trans-Former"
    You can go to their website and see that tool. It has an articulated head with a selection of carbide cutters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

That is a nice looking design...but pretty much all of them look nicer than the homemade rig I use. Mine is just ugly...but it has a great personality.
    I'd like to try one of the articulated hollowers sometime. I've got some materials to put one together, but would rather turn than make tools right now.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!