Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gizmo--Day 3

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    Rick,
    The cutter head is a JTTurning Tools "Trans-Former"
    You can go to their website and see that tool. It has an articulated head with a selection of carbide cutters.
    Thanks John, I've seen the trans-former before, so now I have to ask what the shank size is on the end of it
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Hey Rick,

The Gizmo bars come in 5/8, 3/4, and 1" square stock. The Transformer has a 5/8" bar. Not sure if this is the answer to your question. The Gizmo is drilled 3/4" and supplied with a 3/4 to 5/8" adapter. Any 3/4" or 5/8" boring bar will fit into the Gizmo. Hope this helps.

Terry

Bill,

The center link is like a mini I-beam. It is bolted together because there are bearings at each end, which makes any move smooth as silk.

Terry

Looks like a great setup, Terry! Is that your shop, or is that a retail store for lathes and turning equipment? I see Mustard, Mayo, and Vicmarc plus a couple of CBN wheels not to mention the rack of delicious looking wood in the background! I officially have shop envy!

Hey David,

Sadly enough, it is my shop. What you don't see is behind door number 3. If you look closely next to that wood rack is door number 3. Inside door number 3 there are.......1,2,3,4,5,6.....yes, 6 other racks chock full of wood...ambrosia maple, big leaf maple, myrtlewood, claro walnut, english walnut, madrone, cherry, sycamore, holly, pecan, mimosa, apple, oak, bloodwood, cocobolo, ebony, cottonwood (the really good stuff....did I tell you I had to cherry pick before SWAT....oh wait, that was the tree I told Mike about.....buckeye, camphor, koa, Toon, poplar (mineral stained), lama, mango, macadamia, red mallee, Tasmanian myrtle wood, stringy messmate (some Australian burl), desert ironwood, curly redwood, oh and a mesquite burl....probably a couple more species, but it escapes me....was this a wood gloat?????? What you didn't see are the three Jet mini lathes, Delta mini and Jet 1642 to the right of the Mustard beast.

I have it set up so we can do workshops and sawdust sessions for the club. Yes, the gear is mine. What is really great is that my wife likes to turn between centers, me I am more a faceplate kinda guy. I found that Oneway mini up near Seattle for a song and got it for her...well at least that was my excuse to buy it. I think she saw right through that one. It came with a ton of tools, bed extension, 3 chucks....Don Derry hollowing system...one of these days I am going to have a sale, but not right now. The Vicmarc I got off an ad posted here..that was a sweet deal and the lathe was pretty much pristine. I see there is another Vicmarc for sale in California and a VB36 for sale in Georgia. Good thing I don't live in Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina or North Florida..... God forbid if one comes available within 500 miles.....

We'll have a ball if you ever make it out this way.

Regards,
    Terry

I think that kind of teasing and taunting requires a little photo evidence to back it up!

Let's see the photo tour of the shop! I can't be the only one who wants to drool over that wood list!

OK David....I will get some pics this afternoon. I will have to clean up a bit though. Can't have everyone thinking I am messy.

Terry

Pictures from the Woods

Hey Dave,

So you want some pics of the wood pile.....there is a lot of wood there, more than I ever will be able to turn, but then there is always one more piece you just can't live without.....oh, wait, I must be talking about tools..........now where are those shop pictures.

Regards,
    Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I think I just wet myself, Terry...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Jeeezzz...
    Can I come shopping ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Looks like half of the wood for Waco got kidnapped before the trip! I couldn't help but let out a Holy !@##@#!@ at the size of that BLM NE burl blank sitting on the shelf!

hmmm ...... 3 days drive to Oregon......a couple days to visit, turn, sight see and load up the truck (trailer!) .....3 days back.....$600.00 in gas!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Someone is a SERIOUS wood junkie...

I'm more envious of that hollowing system though...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Scott,

What that little ole thing? Shucks, it almost went in the burn pile.

Picture 1 is mostly 8 x 8 x 8 burl blocks, a few taller. Then there is the boneyard......yes, the smaller logs are about 2' across at the burl. Hmmmm, $600.00 in gas and a trailer load of wood........not a bad deal. Plus you get free room and board at our place.

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Jim,

Wood junkie? Well perhaps now. More along the lines of hoarder, that is until Mike Smith did an intervention. We literally go rid of at least 6 pickup truck loads of wood. Finally down to something manageable until last summer when Mike came back for 6 weeks. We cut up something along the lines of 6 maple burl logs, 2 myrtle wood logs, one huge clarowalnut root, which had some amazing stuff. Oh, and not to mention the 10' solid cottonwood burl log, with eyes clear to the heart. I do live in the land of burl.

If you ever visit Salem, OR you would think you went to heaven. I honestly can say 50% of the trees around here have burls on them. Go downtown the the courthouse, every single sycamore, and we are talking HUGE tree, are covered with burls. Just amazing.

Terry

Hey John,

Come on up. If you ever find yourself in Salem, you've a place to say, a lathe to turn on, and pretty good food to eat.

Terry