Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Mill I built one

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    How cool is that! I look forward to seeing your first piece off of it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Is this considered a mill or a lathe? I remember someone else's project (here) for a router mill that is more like a manually operated milling machine.
    Both of these would be enormously useful but I doubt I will ever get that much free time.

Nice job.

That looks pretty sweet. I saw the plans in shopnotes and think its great. I bought a legacy, but I'm pretty sure this thing will do about everything mine will.

Ryan

I saw that plan, too, and thought "It takes a true stud to build one of these."

Nicholas ? You, Sir, are a true stud.

Enjoy it ! Looks beautiful !!

I am very impressed and will wait to see some of the things that you make with it.

Congratulations

Wow that's impressive!!

Good morning neighbor. That is a cool looking machine. I viewed a similar machine on the Laguna Tools website, but the Laguna machine was motor driven, computerized and cost a bucket load of money.
    Very ingenious.

here is a video of the mill.

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/115/...machine-video/

Link to a Sawmill Creek thread from January.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/...t-156380.html?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Aaron - Your email bounced send me another one and I'll try again

It's easy to see how you could use this beasty to crank out dowels. I wonder if you could work out a set of gears to move the router equipped with a 90 degree V bit to cut 2 tpi threads for vise screws?

OMG... i love you.

joking!! That is really neat!!! I was just watching this video on the "Router Boss" yesterday and wondered "How much does this cost?" and "can I make this myself?" -- apparently YOU can make this yourself. If you haven't seen it, do a google search on router boss and watch the video. You might get some ideas for upgrades!! www.chipsfly.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc was the site I saw it.

Great job on the the Shop Notes build! I have always wanted to get an ornamental lathe but I am never in the right place at the right time. How has it worked for you? Have any pics of the results? Kudos!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Amazing build, thx for sharing!

I looked at the ornamental mills from Legacy. The common stuff such as table leg enhancements such as spirals are quite nice, but you can also buy them pretty cheap from many ready-made wood product suppliers. Other than the very unique and one-off architectural stuff, I did not find enough interesting uses of the machine. I really enjoy the helix's they produce, but other than candle holders, not very many practical applications I can think of...but pretty awesome to see wood expressed in such an artistic manner.

Often I see end products of the ornamental mill that make enhancements to wood projects, but often appear as "overkill"....meaning, the added enhancement is interesting, but overall, less appealing than traditional enhancements.

For that particular mill, does anyone know how to calculate the gear ratios to get a desired turns per inch of the stock in relation to the router (picturing the router with a v bit and how far the point moves per rotation of the stock). I'd like to figure out if it's even possible to gear this thing so that it travels one inch per two revolutions of the stock.