Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what chuck do i want for delta 46-460 ?

what chuck do i want for delta 46-460 ?

just got this delta lathe with extension. It is my first lathe, what is the best chuck for this as far as turning small bowls, etc.? thank you in advance for any advice?

Almost any chuck can be used on any lathe, so the question should be what chuck do you want? Lot's of threads on this subject can be found using search. Grizzly and PSI are good choices. Research and cost parameters are up to you!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Nova G3D was made special for this lathe. Good little chuck, single handed operation. No problems with it for me, I use it alot.
    No adapter needed. Toolnut probably carries it, as do others who sell the Delta lathe.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I agree with Tim-----you can swap the jaws with other Nova products later.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I have the G3 Nova chuck and it's great. It's pain to switch out the jaws for larger/smaller/cole jaws; the holy grail is having 2 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have the G3 Nova chuck and it's great. It's pain to switch out the jaws for larger/smaller/cole jaws; the holy grail is having 2 of them
    And if you have a third one or the G3's big brother the SN2 then you are in heaven.

"The best things in life are not things."

I think a SuperNova2 is a great chuck for that lathe. Actually any of the Technatool line would work well. A while back someone had a posting about Technatool selling reconditioned chucks. I just looked before this post and they have some available at a sizeable discount. If I were in the market for another chuck, I'd get the SN2 listed here.

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/Recondit...oducts_c10.htm

There are lots of good brands and models. I have Nova's myself. The G3-D is directed threaded and promoted as made for Delta, the G3 takes an insert and for any lathe. There is a slight difference in the jaws I believe but I think the G3-D is normally about 145 (plus maybe shipping and taxes?) or you can get the G3 on the bay almost any time for 125 including your insert and shipping.
    The reconditioned chucks also looks like a good buy.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

You WANT a Oneway, but if you can't afford one, (I can't) get the Novas. As mentioned, you can get a G3 on the bay for 125 shipped with insert. W/C has the SuperNova 2 on sale for 140. AND also have a jaw set on sale. The SN2 does not come with an adapter, about 25 bucks.

I use the G3 on my mini and teh SN2 on the 1642. I think they work well. I don't think anyone has said it, but all the Nova chucks takes all chuck jaws, except for the titan. Another small bonus.

I have 4 Grizzly chucks at $105 apiece. They will accept all the Vicmarc VM100 jaws. Had them all for going on 5 yrs now with no problems.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Where is the super nova 2 manufactured? How about the one way ?

Can any of theses chucks be used with the reverse option that the 46-460 has?
    Lupe D. -
    TEXICANWOOD

The Oneway's have a drilled and tapped hole for a set screw to go into that locks the chuck on the spindle. Some lathes have a machined area for the set screw to tighten onto. If yours does not and you are worried about damaging the spindle thread with the set screw, then go get a set screw with a brass tip on it. I got my brass tipped ones from McMaster.

I also have a Nova chuck and there is not setscrew provision to lock the chuck onto the lathe. The only setscrew is to lock the adapter bushing into the chuck body.

I like my Oneway's well enough, but if I was going to do it again I would probably go with Vicmarc. I like the hex key for tightening the chuck better.

Paul

I'll doublecheck my Nova G3, but I believe it has a set/grub screw that locks the chuck to the spindle. I could be a bad boy for this, but to be honest, I never set it, even in reverse mode. However, I mostly use reverse for sanding. I've done reverse scraping, but only finish cuts.

I have four Novas’ (SN, SN2, & G3) and all of the inserts are tapped for the set screw to lock to the spindle.
    I think some re-sellers skimp on specifications in order to make a couple of more $ on resell. I have an insert made for Jet and it is not tapped even though it is a Nova insert.

There is one retailer now that lists an "Insert for Nova chuck" and also a "Nova Insert". The first is a knock off but they charge the same for both. On the knockoff the letter (D in this case) is stamped parallel with the hex and on the Nova it is stamped perpendicular.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe