Thread: a big congrats!

a big congrats!

I think it'll come as no surprise... SMC represents 3/4 of the final four in the B&B contest! Scott Hackler, David DeCristoforo, and Tim Rinehart all made it into the finals for the contest with some really nice turnings! We should know in a day or two who got 1st and who got 2nd, but it's hard not to consider all of the finalists as winners!

A big congrats for the recognition and best of luck in the final voting!

Congratulations to all of you that made it to the end. There is some beautiful there by all of you.

Paul

And not to exclude yourself, being the only contestant to have both pieces make it into the top five!
    David DeCristoforo

congratulations and well deserved

Pretty amazing show folks! Apparently I fell into the right rabbithole when I landed here. Congratulations to all the participants.

Congratulations to the top 2 (each category) and good luck in the final round!
    I can honestly say some very hard decisions where made. Narrowing it down this far with so many great pieces to choose from was no easy task! Everyone that participated should be proud of their entries, there were no losers in this contest!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I have been up and down that website and i cannot for the life of me find the winners. Someone posted a link to the top 10 but if failed to open. Where can i view the winners?

Congrats to all. It is well deserved.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Silva View Post
    I have been up and down that website and i cannot for the life of me find the winners. Someone posted a link to the top 10 but if failed to open. Where can i view the winners?
    Jason, I think this will take you to the most recent news on the contest....
    http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=510:t he-top-two&catid=109:voting-info&Itemid=185

T
    his was really a fun event for me and so interesting to see each of the entrants perception of "beauty" and "beast". Just a fascinating collection of turned art. If you haven't already looked at all the entrants, you owe it to yourself to see them all.
    http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=105& Itemid=163

http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/in...104&Itemid=164

I can't believe the results. I didn't have myself ranked in the top 10, let alone the final 2. I am experiencing a mix of humble and dismay. There were a lot of pieces I thought were A LOT better than what I made. I was even surprized with a phone call from fellow Beast finalist, Tim Rinehart. Tim and I both agreed that we couldn't believe the results.

Thanks to anyone who thought enough of my piece to cast a vote for it. It is nice to hear the accolades, even though I sometimes don't know how to accept them.

A big congrats to David Decristoforo and Jerry Prosise for their top place finishes in the Beauty section. Great work from both.

AND it just wouldn't be right to not meantion David Keller, who ....alone..... placed in the top 5 in BOTH catagories!!!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Great job Scott, DD, and Tim for grabbing those top spots! Well deserved! Congrats to Dr. K for having both in the top 5 and Curt for one top 5 and other top 10.

Thanks everyone. I called Scott to congratulate him and let him know it didn't matter so much whether I made 1st or 2nd at this point, but that I was just stoked to get so much support with so many great pieces represented in both categories.
    Congratulations to all who participated and who contribute to the forums on a daily basis to making events like this possible and to fill all of our imaginations of our 'next creation'.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Stunned

Woke up this morning still in disbelief. After the first round of voting, I was very pleased to have made it into the top ten. And in third place no less! When the second round results were posted, I saw that I had made it into the top five but just barely. I was already planning how to spend the gift certificate and looking forward to trying out that new "Cera-Max" sandpaper. Then yesterday, I saw that I had, by some bizarre twist, been magically elevated into the final round! I was and still am, stunned. I posted my pieces early and then watched as one amazing pair after another appeared. And I was not at all displeased to see them because I really wanted a shot at that chainsaw!

The fact that these preliminary round selections were made by those who are most qualified to judge this kind of work ([sic] those who actually do this kind of work) only amplified my sense of elation as having made it that far. At the risk of being redundant, I have to say that there were so many fine pieces to choose from that it was almost impossible to pick favorites, especially considering the wide range of styles represented.

I know that this contest has been the focus of a large part of the "woodturning community". It was a great concept that generated a lot of excitement and the people that put it together are the real winners. I hope this helps to bring the WTA site to the forefront of the turning world.

I also know that many of the contestants are also active members of SMC and that their opinions, which I value most highly, were instrumental in the outcome. So for anyone that had a part in my making it into the final round of judging, I cannot thank you enough!
    David DeCristoforo