Thread: What bit do you cabinet guys use?

What bit do you cabinet guys use?

I don't know if I have every posted here or not... Anyway I have had a CNC machine for several years, first a Shopbot and then I built a Mechmate almost 2 years ago. I own and operate a sign shop, but build stuff out of wood to...(read honeydo's for the house).

Anyway I have been trying to cut up some birch 3/4 plywood for a project I am working on. It seems that everything I cut needs a lot of cleaning up. Is there a good bit suggestion and speed and feedrate suggestion so that I can cut out some simple cabinet parts, dados etc. that don't need some sanding? What I am mainly seeing is splinters along the top and bottom edges of the cut.

Thanks
    Blake
    Equipment we use - Mechmate CNC Router, Roland VersaCamm SP-540, Vinyl Express 24" Plotter, Wrights of Lymm Lettering brushes, Mack Pinstriping brushes, sharpies and #2 pencils

Software - Corel X3, Versaworks,

It doesn't matter where you go in life,
    It's who you have beside you.

try a compression bit. Centurion has then that cut very smooth.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 09-15-2011 at 7:11 AM.

I use a Vortex 3/8" compression bit. I'm using a 2 flute chipbreaker for plywood (3430), and a 3 flute finisher(3285) for MDF products. A lot of folks I know use an Onsrud 60-126MW, but I've found the Vortex Viper to be a tougher bit and last longer. Oh.. and use a conventional cut, instead of a climb cut - especially if your cuts on the scrap are cleaner than your cuts on your parts.

Since we have a KOMO our feed speeds are probably a bit higher than you can go, but I target about a .014-.015" chip load.

If you'd like a copy of the Excel file I use to calculate that, shoot me an email, and I'll send you the calculator file.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 09-15-2011 at 4:18 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I always use a downcut bit usually from centurian. as long as my table is not chewed up I get clean cuts on both sides.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

We use a 5mm compression bit that a local sharping/machine shop makes for us, not having big iron machine(bot) we cut in 3 passes @180in/min. The first pass is a down cut for the first .275 of the bit and than it is a up cut for the rest. 5mm works for us because we can use it to drill shelf pins also. 180 is kind of wimpy but it keeps me hopping average sheet time is about 17 minutes