Thread: laser rastering bitmap background?

laser rastering bitmap background?

Boy, I am having nothing but problems lately....

I was rastering a job today on some black painted brass....one that I do all the time. The text and everything rastered fine, but the logo (which is a bitmap) did not. There is a faint half-tone/shading left in behind the image. I changed the bitmap from CMYK to RGB, ran a test and everything turned out fine...but I think it's something with my print settings.
    I was recently having trouble colormatching a sublimation job and was "experimenting" with some of my print settings and although I thought I restored them all....I am thinking I must have changed something. Is there a difference between CMYK and RGB rastering in this form? I've never had a problem rastering either of them.

Any suggestions??
    Epilog Helix 60 watt laser with rotary
    Epilog Legend 45 watt
    Photobrasive Sandcarver II blasting cabinet
    Ricoh GX 7000 sublimation printer
    Digital Knight 20S 16x20 heat press
    Mimaki CG-60 vinyl plotter
    corel X6
    JOTO mug press

The only difference I know of is, if you are color mapping and use cmyk it will not map being the choices' are RGB and will use default settings from the first page
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Blog Entries
    When you switched to RGB, did you verify the background was a true 255/255/255 white? Is the entire background a solid color and not splotched with a few slightly off-white areas?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Dan,

Yes, the background when I switched was true RGB white. I did a really simple test today and rastered two circles side by side. One filled with RGB white and the other with CMYK white.
    The RGB was clear in the middle and the CMYK left the same half-tone as before. Still haven't figured out why it's doing this.
    Epilog Legend 45 watt
    corel X6
    JOTO mug press

You should be using RGB, always. CMYK will cause issues. I've been told by several factory application people that the lasers are setup to deal with RGB, not CMYK files.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Hi Scott,

As a general rule, I always use RGB. I Just think it's funny that I've been doing this job for about a year and half...have never touched the artwork and all of a sudden it's doing this. I figure I must have messed up one of the settings. I just dont' know which one
    Epilog Legend 45 watt
    corel X6
    JOTO mug press

Yep, you will almost always have an engraving if your driver see's any color than the 255/255/255 white color. Any color but that color will be engraved some how, some way. It may not be the way you want it or if you want but it will be engraved.
    Kevin W. Huffman II
    Pinnacle Laser