Thread: What Do I Do Now

What Do I Do Now

I recently purchased a JET pen lathe and three pen kits. However, neither the lathe nor the kits came with any instructions about making pens. Is there a "beginning pen makers" forum? I'm usually too cheap to purchase books when I can get information from the internet.
    Be safe and have fun!

Jim,
    You can download instructions for making most styles of pens from sites such as Woodcraft or Penn State Industries.
    Dave

Come join us at www.penturners.org and meet a great group of people who will help you in any way you need....

Unfortunately, I can not say I like the choice of lathe you purchased.. the Jet pen lathe does not have a good reputation and finding accessories that fit it will be hard... you would have been much better off purchasing one of the minilathes that Jet makes or one similar to a Jet Mini...
    I can almost guarantee that sometime in the future you will want to start turning things other than pens and the pen lathe will not be up to the task...
    Last edited by Tom Mullane; 02-24-2005 at 10:34 AM.
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Penn State Industries is offering a free Pen Making DVD.
    Turnin' 'round in Epping NH
    AAW, Guild of NH Woodworkers, NH Seacoast Woodturners, NRA, SASS, Libertarian

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Jim,
    Your signature line contains a political statement which violates the Sawmill Creek Terms of Service. Please edit your profile and remove it.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson
    I recently purchased a JET pen lathe and three pen kits. However, neither the lathe nor the kits came with any instructions about making pens. Is there a "beginning pen makers" forum? I'm usually too cheap to purchase books when I can get information from the internet.
    When I first started out, I didn't want to ruin all of my kits, so I drilled blanks with a 1/4" hole (This is the size of the ID of the brass tube). Then I mounted the blanks directly on the mandrel, without the tubes. Practice your shaping ability on these blanks, that way if you mess up, like I did, you won't be ruining kits