Thread: Laser Ordered, CorelDraw X5 Ordered - what's next

Laser Ordered, CorelDraw X5 Ordered - what's next

I ordered my Laser last week with Shenhui and my shipper will pick it up on Friday. I should then have it in Toronto in about 21days. I ordered CorelDraw X5 and should have it next week. George also sent me the RDDraw Software Manual which is what will come drive the Laser.

So what should I do while waiting for the Laser? I have the following ideas:
    • Read ALL posts on Sawmill Creek
    • Become familiar with Corel
    • Identify material supplier
    • Segment and identify potential customers - develop marketing plan
    • Develop detailed plan to test Laser on different types of materials for engraving and cutting
    Once the Laser is here I would like to do a put it through its paces and generate workflow documents so that I document what settings to use for the laser to achieve a certain type of finish. It would be really helpful to get some help in developing that.

I am a complete newbie in this field with no experience in this business. But I feel empowered with all the support available here and I am very confident that I would achieve my goals.

Thank you
    Khalid
    Shenhui 80W RECI
    Coreldraw X5

Just read all the posts here, wait till you get your laser and then do the rest.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Sounds like you have a good plan! My suggestion is to get a notebook and write down settings for various materials and comments for future testing as you read all the posts. Also make a section for preparing and finishing substrates. Those will come in handy later on when you say to yourself..."hmm, I remember reading something about that but where?"

Have fun, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Khalid

Read through the posts referring to CorelDraw and check out the tips and the links provided. Many times your ability to use the graphics program will determine the quality and efficiency of your work.

Bookmark the tutorial sites for future reference. Here are some to get you started.

http://www.visionary-voyager.com.au/...aint/index.htm
    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1152796556718
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAi34...eature=related
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-15-2011 at 7:27 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You have a plan!!! That's great.

One thing to think about is how you are going to store your files and templates.
    You are starting at ground zero, so now is the time to do that. Each time I want
    to make even a slight revision to my system (to make it easier to find client info and
    previous orders it takes a lot of work.)

Consider getting some software such as Quick Books, that way you can keep track
    of client info, vendor info, inventory and work invoices right through it. Much easier now
    than later.

DEFINITLY read all the posts and while your at it set up a bookmark folder so you can
    save the ones that are important for future use. I have a handful of book marks under
    different folders such as, Vendors, Research, Photo Editing, Corel etc. This makes it
    easier to find things when you need them.)

You Tube is great there is so much out there.

Research the trade show circuit and see if one is close to you. The ARA show is coming
    up in March 2012 in Las Vegas, I have been following air/hotel for under $700 you can be there
    for 6 days and 5 nights. Pretty reasonable!

NBM Shows hit 4 cities not as big as ARA, but it incorporates engraving, signage and appearel
    so it is a good overview.

Check out "Engravers Journal" online they have digital editions and a listing of product suppliers.

Keep us posted!
    Last edited by Martin Boekers; 09-15-2011 at 9:23 AM.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I hope that by documenting my journey from the start on this forum would help others in the future.
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

You should add "Make Samples" to the bottom of that list.
    The best way to show off what you can do is by having stuff laying around that you have engraved. Before you know it, you will have samples for everything you could imaging and it can/will spark the imagination of customers you are trying to sale to. I still hear this all the time "I know you can do X, but have you ever thought about doing it to Y?".
    Kevin W. Huffman II
    Pinnacle Laser

Khalid,

Next weekend Sept. 23 & 24 there is a Consac sign show at the International Center. There you can meet at least couple of engraving supplies reps. It may be good time to meet with them and pick up catalogs and samples they will have on hand.
    One rep sells Epilog and the other ULS machines. There will be number of acrylic vendors you may keep info for future reference.
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 09-15-2011 at 3:00 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Hi Tony, I would miss the show as I am not in Toronto till Sunday 25th. Its great to know that you are in Maple. We should meet up sometime.
    Corel X5

Corel X5

Khalid - congrats on purchase.

Where in Markham are you, home office or unit?
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 09-23-2011 at 3:33 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Thanks Tony. Plan is to set this machine up in the basement I hope I am able to take it down otherwise this will go in the garage.
    Corel X5

Please keep us up to date on how your laser performs. Hopefully you have a North American contact / tech support #. As we see more and more of the Chinese lasers come over - hopefully their quality is good; as their prices sure make the American manufacturers look pretty high.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Hi Khalid;
    Sounds like things are working out reasonably well- be prepared to take it apart if you want to get it down the basement, unless you have an outside basement access door which is pretty wide.
    The bottom tubular frame will unbolt from the top section without too much effort and then flip it on its side. These things are pretty heavy so get enough muscle to handle it.
    Good Luck
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts